New Discussion

Advanced Server V7.3B for OpenVMS - monitoring connecitions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul  cotton
Occasional Advisor

Advanced Server V7.3B for OpenVMS - monitoring connecitions

Good morning,

Could someone please tell me the best method for capturing a list of all the active connections on Pathworks Advanced Server. We're looking to migrate Advanced Server to SAMBA (running on a BL8x0c blade), and would prefer to limit migration to the the shares that are sill in-use /active. I did set-up a job to try and capture all activity on the associated Pathworks VMS Servers but it runs at intervals , and so failing to capture some of the more transitory incoming connections !

3 REPLIES 3
john Dite
Frequent Advisor

Re: Advanced Server V7.3B for OpenVMS - monitoring connecitions

Don't you want to be pragmatic? What is more work, redefinig the existing shares in SAMBA, even though someone might not be using them, or analysing the access data, to see whether a share is being used or not. 

One way of doing it is using tcpdump and tracing port 137 (SMB over TCPIP) into a file over a period of time. Then using wireshark (ie. on Linux or Windows) to analyse the trace file. Using the wireshark filters, you may be able then to provide a summary which may be useful to you, to determine which Shares are being accessed. 

I'm sure there are other ways.

Good Luck.

Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

ADMIN SHOW CONNECTIONS should give you what you are looking for, if I understand you correctly.

I also agree with John Dite - migrate all the shares, why have to deal with missing shares months after the migration?  Now this is where my memory is foggy because it was after I left PW engineering - didn't HP deliver a tool to migrate all PW shares to Samba?  (I know we talked about it, I just don't recall if it got delivered)

Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
Bo Midberg
Valued Contributor
Solution

Yes, there is a tool for migration. The tool must have access to the AdvSrv files.

About migration, see http://h41379.www4.hpe.com/network/pdf/cifs_migration.pdf

BoM