108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Advanced Server & volumes available Q

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

Advanced Server & volumes available Q

Is there some way from within the Advance Server Admin command environment one can tell what volumes are available.

Yesterday when trying to create a share, I was told that the device or directory was not valid. From VMS it certainly was. Turns out the target disk for the share had been recently mounted. I wasn't aware of that. Seems like Advanced Server wasn't either.

After a quick toggle (pwrestart) of the Advanced Server, all was well.

Latest version 7.3a-eco2 running on a VMS v7.3-2 system.
5 REPLIES 5
John Gillings
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Advanced Server & volumes available Q

Dave,

Advanced Server and Pathworks can only "see" volumes that were mounted at the time the server was started. This can cause complications in cluster startups, delaying the startup of Advanced Server until everything is available. There are similar issues with other disk serving software.

To see which volumes are available use:

$ ADMIN SHOW SHARE/HIDDEN

You will see a hidden Directory share for each volume Advanced Server knows about with the name "$".

I don't think it's possible to make Advanced Server aware of new volumes without restarting (though I could very easily be wrong!).

On one of my clusters, I check if all the relevant disks are available before starting Advanced Server:

F$GETDVI(device,"EXISTS").AND.
F$GETDVI(device,"MNT")

If not, the startup procedure resubmits itself as a batch job to retry in a few minutes time.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

If you had mounted a new disk after Adv.Srv. is already running, you can issue the command ADMIN SET COMPUTER /AUTOSHARE and Adv.Srv. rereads the device list.
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

SET

COMPUTER

/AUTOSHARE_SYNCHRONIZE

Causes the computer to synchronize its list of autoshares. This
qualifier is valid only to Compaq OpenVMS servers.

While it may not be obvious, this has the effect of causing the advanced server to look at all the currently mounted devices.

Should do the trick for you.

Brad
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Well that's strange. I didn't see Karl's reply whjen I posted mine, yet he posted his 6 hours earlier. Hmmmm....
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

Many thanks for the replies.

Dave...