Operating System - OpenVMS
1753454 Members
6206 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Advanced Server and Windows 7

John Stirling

Advanced Server and Windows 7

Are there any known issues trying to authenticate with an Advanced server share from a Windows 7 client? This doesn't seem to work with Advanced Server 7.3 /A/B.

The drive cannot be mapped using known working username and password. Mapping works fine from XP client.

Thoughts anyone?
3 REPLIES 3
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

you will have to use old style of authentication - I think that's a setting somewhere on windows7

Is your Advanced Server 7.3B installation up to date with the current patch set ?

Is this the usual LMCompatibilityLevel setting mismatch?

If so, then recent Microsoft Windows XP SP kits and Windows 7 both enable security, and you may (will?) need to disable security.

The usual DWORD setting for that registry key is 1, IIRC, "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\
CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\
LMCompatibilityLevel

And the obligatory reference to the upgrade path for Advanced Server and PATHWORKS being the CIFS/Samba package.

Additional details and links:

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1590

If this configuration is involving Active Directory authentication, then things will be more "interesting". There are specific requirements for using recent AD with CIFS, and it would not surprise me to learn the (older) Advanced Server software required workarounds or security downgrades, too.

And yeah, patch your Advanced Server software to current, or you'll be chasing bugs. If you have HP support, call HP and ask. They tend to have access to patches and updates.
John Stirling

I set the LAN manager Authentication Level to "Send LM and NTLM responses"

It now works.