5482 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Advanced Server v7.3-A4 problem

tatty
Occasional Contributor

Advanced Server v7.3-A4 problem

Hi!
I have a domain win2003 active directory with n DC win2003 and 2 cluster OpenVms 7.3-1 with Advanced Server 7.3-A4.
The problem is:
when i use command line of Advanced Server (admin) return this messagge:
sho user
%PWRK-E-DCNOTFND, cannot find Primary Domain Controller for "USERDOMAIN"

What can i see or modify of configuration for resolve this problem?
9 REPLIES 9
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Re: Advanced Server v7.3-A4 problem

Is the TCPIP stuff working (ping PDC...)?
Do you use LMHOSTS and/or WINS and are the configured correctly? Did it ever work?
Are messages in ADMIN SHO EVENT or in the logfiles?
We sometimes had similar problems and after long struggle it turns out to be a windows/network problem.

Btw, the current version is V7.3B and a Patch 5 kit.

regards Kalle
tatty
Occasional Contributor

I use wins server. On database wins server are present static entry for domain and any DC, any server Advanced.

If i ping DC with role pdc emulator and other DC is ok.

if i want use lmhosts, how i configure this?

Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

>>Btw, the current version is V7.3B and a Patch 5 kit

What's a Patch 5 kit?
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

HP provided us with a patchkit and some images went to version V7.3-200B -0005.

regards Kalle
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

You enable LMHOSTS on the 2003 server in Advanced TCP/IP Settings -> Wins tab -> [check-box] Enable LMHOSTS lookup.

In Advanced Server's ADMIN/CONFIG, the LMHOSTS and WINS definitions are on the Transports page.

If that doesn't help;

The following has worked for me before to solve a problem like yours:

Remove the Advanced Server computer(s) from the 2003 DC/PDC.

Re-run @SYS$UPDATE:PWRK$CONFIG on the Alpha.

Change one of the values on the menu and change it back. Exit the menu.

When it asks if you want to "enter a new administrator's password now," do that (you can use the same password you have now.)

When finished it should rejoin the domain and the DC will assign a new ID.

If you're running the AS as BDC, you might consider changing its role to Member (see the documentation for a discussion of those concerns.)

Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Isn't AdvancedServer only supported as Memberserver in AD domains?

regards Kalle
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

In the Active Directory, yes, but one 2003 server can be given PDC emulator role to allow it to live in an older type of domain.

In which case the 2003 will run in 2000-Mixed or 2003-Interim mode, and the non-2003 servers will function like a BDC in a pre-AD domain (only 2003 can act as PDC.)

A member server can become part of the AD, but will not have DC server capability. e.g. it can offer local shares and some very limited domain services and it can't initiate changes to the AD.

My experience with using 2003's PDC emulation and leaving AS's as BDC has not been positive -- mostly replication problems, iirc -- so I always make them members. Then 2003 can run in "happy" mode (Windows Server 2003 functionality level.)

Oleg Mikhailov
Advisor

Hi tatty.

In my opinion.
1. Using wins is better than lmhosts.
2. Static records in wins only to be a AS cluster alias, and the rest DC, AS nodes will be registered dynamically. This is more correct.
3. Check [1C] record in wins base. It will be primarily used to search for PDC by AS.
Paul Nunez
Respected Contributor

Don't forgot you can test for NetBIOS name resolution using the $ NBSHOW KNBSTATUS command:

$ nbshow knbstatus

To search for the PDC of the domain ADOMAIN:

$ nbshow knbstatus adomain 1b

But due to a bug in NBSHOW, you have to verify the name you searched for is actually in the list of names returned because nbshow will fall back and search for \0x00 if it doesn't find the name you specified. EVERY domain member holds the \0x00 name, so you'll likely get a response to the above command but it may not be from the intended target. This is fixed in v7.3B.

And I agree with earlier comments to avoid use of lmhosts and static WINS entries (except for the Advanced Server cluster alias name). Advanced Server will dynamically register its names, except the cluster alias name, as should the Windows systems.

Regards,

Paul