1748014 Members
3938 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Advanced server 7.3A/B can't find domain controller

Michael Kloth
Occasional Advisor

Advanced server 7.3A/B can't find domain controller

As every year, I used the non-production usage time of our servers for updates. I have updated our Alphaserver-VMS-Cluster running V7.3-2 with the actual VMS-Patches (Update-Patch 900 and others) and UCX V5.4 ECO 6. After that, everything works fine except Pathworks/Advanced server. The actual version is V7.3A4 and the problem is that the server can't reach his DC :
$ Admin show users
gives "%PWRK-E-DCNOTFND, cannot find Primary Domain Controller for "CSPWRK01" "
although the server itself has been set up as PDC for that domain.
I updated Advanced server to V7.3B and also reconfigured it, but that didn't suceed.
The pathworks-logfiles do not give any special error-message, all required processes are running.
Only workaround is in the moment that users who want to connect to any share have to use the username administrator (and the password of course).
Any hints where I can search ?
4 REPLIES 4
John Travell
Valued Contributor

Re: Advanced server 7.3A/B can't find domain controller

Does your domain have either WinXP or Win2K3 machines present that were not there last year ?
IIRC, Pathworks can only be a member server, not a Domain Controller, in an XP/W2k3 domain.
Something to do with Ms moving the goal posts and not telling anyone where they were moved to.
JT:
Michael Kloth
Occasional Advisor

Hello John,
thanks for your answer.
The pathworks-domain structure we are using is a very simple one : the pathworks-server is set up as PDC for CSPWRK01 (no BDC exists for that domain), there are no other domain members. The XP-clients which want to map a share on this server are member of another domain.
This configuration worked fine before I made the system updates last week.
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Micheal,

You didn't add or modify any hardware in this update period, do you ?
There is also no modification made to the netwerk ?

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Michael Kloth
Occasional Advisor

Anton,
your guess is right, besides the software-updates (VMS-patches) I also installed new network-cards to use LAN failover. The new cards are defined as LLA-0, this has also been modified in the logicals which advanced server uses (PWRK$NBDAEMON_DEVICE and PWRK$KNBDAEMON_DEVICE) to point to LLA0 instead of EIA0 (the KNBDAEMON-process seems to work fine with these settings). This change was also one of my guesses which could have influenced the problem, therefore I have modified it back test-wise, but that didn't succeed.
In my whole paper documentation about pathworks problems I found an old article about a similar problem (but with an external Windows NT server as domain controller) where the solution was to add a LMHOSTS entry for the PDC. I will try this the next time when I'm able to restart Pathworks (it is used in a 7x24 production area here). In the moment, I can still live with the mentioned workaround.