Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alpha ES40 lost Network Connection

Highlighted
Peter Clarke
Regular Advisor

Alpha ES40 lost Network Connection

Hi All,

I have a problem we our backup Alpha server it seems to have lost its network connection i have checked the network switch and this is ok.
I have also shutdown tcpip and started again still didn't come up so then done a complete reboot but still have no network.
I have not used VMS much for the last 3-4 years so would welcome any advice or suggestions about where to look first or what commands i should run to check things out.

Many Thanks
Peter
5 REPLIES 5
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Re: Alpha ES40 lost Network Connection

Peter,

MC LANCP SHOW DEV/INT will show the most recent LAN driver messages at the bottom of the display. Any Link down messages ? It should also show the link state - is it up ?

Volker.
Peter Clarke
Regular Advisor

I have got a message saying decnet 4.5 circuit is down, ewa0 error??
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Peter,

which version of OpenVMS ($ SHOW SYS/NOPROC) ? Does the LANCP SHOW DEV/INT return anything ? Do any of the error-related counters count up: MC NCP SHOW KNO LINE COUNT ?

The first question would be: does the LAN interface still have a link to the switch-port ?

Volker.
Peter Clarke
Regular Advisor

Seems to be working now not really sure what it was but thanks for your help anyway..
Just another quick question what file do the usernames and password get stored in?

Thanks
Peter
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Peter,

With regards to network connectivity, the first thing to check when there is intermittent connectivity is the actual cables. It is quite easy to dislodge an RJ45 plug sufficiently to break the contact, without visibly removing the plug.

Usernames and passwords are stored in the SYSUAF file. This is normally located in SYS$SYSTEM:SYSUAF.DAT, but can be directed elsewhere using the SYSUAF logical name and the UAFALTERNATE system paramter. This behavior is documented in a variety of places, including the online HELP text within SYSGEN.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com