108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Alpha to I64 translator

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe Gadsby
Advisor

Alpha to I64 translator

I downloaded and installed HP I64VMS MSAI V2.0 and HP I64VMS VMS831H1I_IA64_TIE V1.0

There is no TIE$STARTUP.COM file.

Any ideas what I did wrong ?
Thanks !
-jg-

I64 openvms 8.3-1H1
19 REPLIES 19
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Alpha to I64 translator

Joe,

you first need to download and install

TIE V1.0

Translated Image Environment (TIE) software component for HP Integrity servers (OpenVMS v8.3-1H1 only)

VMS831H1I_IA64_TIE V1.0 is only a patch and not the full TIE product. Please install TIE V1.0 first, then re-install that patch.

Volker.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Joe,

sorry, now I seem to be confused as well !

The web page say TIE is 'integrated' into OpenVMS I64 V8.2-1 and above and you say you're running V8.3-1H1 already.

I'll have to do some more checking...

Volker.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Joe,

TIE$STARTUP.COM (from TIE V1.0) just defines a couple of xxx_AV and xxx_TV_AV logicals - nothing more. I guess these definition will have been included in V8.3-1H1.

Just check

$ SHOW LOG *_AV

So there seems to be no need to include an invocation of TIE$STARTUP.COM. Where did you read the reference to that procedure ? Maybe in the 'old' TIE V1.0 manual ?

Volker.
Steve Reece_3
Trusted Contributor

If I remember rightly from a few weeks ago, TIE is integrated but AEST isn't. AEST is a free download from the HP website.

If you still require the TIE$STARTUP.COM, is that part of AEST?

Steve
H.Becker
Honored Contributor

>>>
Any ideas what I did wrong ?
<<<

Nothing. What's the problem other than that there is no startup file, which doesn't seem to be necessary?

It's all in the names. TIE is Translated Image Environment, which is integrated into VMS. It didn't ship with the initial versions of VMS for I64, so there was a TIE 1.0 kit. VMS831H1I_IA64_TIE-V0100 is an ECO for TIE on VMS V8.3-1H1.

To translate an image you do not need the TIE. To run the translated image you need the TIE.

The translator from Alpha to I64 aka AEST (Alpha Environment Software Translator) is the MSAI (Migration Software for Alpha to Integrity) product aka OMSAIS (HP OpenVMS Migration Software for HP Alpha to Integrity Servers) with a kit name HP-I64VMS-MSAI-V0n00--1. (whatever the current n is). You donwloaded version 2. Here I64 indicates that the translator runs on Integrity. There was and still may be translators running on Alpha (which may have a kit name like HP-AXPVMS-V0n00--1)

So you should have everything you need on/for your V8.3-1H1.
Joe Gadsby
Advisor

Hi

I was looking an older install manual, that's where I came up with the TIE$STARTUP

On the Integrity server:
I did a "Sho log _AV" and there are 38 "_AV"
logicals, so that looks like it is set up correctly.

I tried it, and it seems to work !

$ AEST RS162.EXE

This created a RS162_AV.EXE.

I run this, after setting up the required logicals for RS1 and it names another file not translated. So I'm stepping through these.

The only error so far is ...
%AEST-W-PRIVSS, Image calls system service SYS$CMEXEC. Execution of privileged
code in a translated context is not supported
%AEST-W-TRANSWARN, Translation completed with warnings -- review them before using the output image

On the Alpha, RS1 was linked with Dec Windows, so I've been bringing those files over as well and running this on them. It chokes on the file DECW$SETSHODISSHR.EXE

The vendor doesn't have a I64 version of RS1 and, naturally, it's used a lot here.

Thanks !
-jg-

(Somewhere it's 5pm !)
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Joe,

AEST only supports 'user-mode OpenVMS Alpha images' !

If your .EXE files include routines that require running in non-USER mode - as evidenced by the reference to SYS$CMEXEC, you might be out of luck. If that code is NOT called during run-time, the translated image MIGHT work on OpenVMS I64, but the chances are pretty low.

Volker.
H.Becker
Honored Contributor

It's not obvious to me which image gives you the %AEST-W-PRIVSS. At least, you do not need to translate the DECWindows images, they are available as native ones. If you can't find them on the I64 server, then the DECWindows client is not installed.
Joe Gadsby
Advisor

DECwindows IS installed.

I brought the RS1 directory over and started converting.
I converted RS162.exe and when I ran RS1R62_AV.EXE, the message "RS162ALL_AV.EXE file not found"

I converted RS1R62ALL.EXE and ran RS1R62_AV and a different file_AV.exe was not found.

I converted THAT one and ...

Each step got a little further down the road until it is at the point where it just hangs.

CTRL-T, CTRL-Y, CTRL-C have no affect on it.

I think we're SOL at this point.
Thanks !

-jg-