108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Alphastation 200 4/100 freezes on install

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rebecca Putman
Frequent Advisor

I tried it... got to the OpenVMS banner and froze again, no messages.

This is an install from CD, if that matters.

I also tried a copy of OpenVMS v7.2-2 - same results.

All my hardware shows up, with the exception of an extra PCI 10/100 NIC card.

Completely confused.
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Rebecca,

I would try to remove the NIC that is not recognized on the console level. Having
HW in the system that is not integrated properly can always lead to confusing problems.

Greetings, Martin
Rebecca Putman
Frequent Advisor

Hrrrmmmmm... figured out the problem!

Took out the NIC card. Maybe that was an issue, maybe not. The *real* issue was the CD drive I was using. While the SRM Console saw it and identified it correctly, it was apparently too "new" for it to be of use - so the system locked up!

I grabbed an older RRD43 drive and attached it via the external SCSI connector, and OpenVMS v7.3-1 went onto the machine like soft butter on toast!
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I'm intrigued by the picture of a buttery VMS installation :-)

What sort of CD drive was the troublesome one and does VMS V7.3-1 recogise it now?

I bet it was an RRD45 or 46. I have seen similar problems on a DEC3000-300 and VMS V7.1
Rebecca Putman
Frequent Advisor

LOL

It is a TEAC CD-532s -148. Manufactured in June of 1999. I've pulled it from the system entirely, so I don't know if VMS would recognize it now or not.

Now... how do I set the display for the graphics terminal? It's close, but wrong, so I can make out the "Compaq" logo as it scrolls multiple times across the screen...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hello Rebecca,

it sounds like the monitor (what type is this?) can not 'synchronize' the picture. Do you know what type of graphic adapter is installed in the system? On some of them there is a small rotary switch which can be used to select the screen resolution. You might also try to fiddle with the monitor's "vertical sync" to get a stable picture. Good luck!
Rebecca Putman
Frequent Advisor

What I did was to fiddle with decw$device_config_gc.com (or something close to that name) and changed the default size from 1024 x 768 to 800 x 600. That cleared things right up.

The OpenVMS FAQ here is extensive, not to mention all the other folks who've asked similar questions!
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Oh, good! I would still try to get a higher screen resolution. Many X11 programs expect more than 800x600 and might not scale correctly.
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Rebecca,

I do agree with Uwe, you should try to get a higher resolution for reasonable work. If you are not sure about your card, do an

anal/sys
SDA>clue config

This will show the installed cards on the second page of the output.

Greetings, Martin