1752795 Members
6040 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Anal/dis/rep/read

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

when the bad debug.exe was deleted then any bad blocks would have been transparently revectored so when the disk was filled with the temp file and all blocks read then no bad blocks where found.

Or put in badblk.sys depending on the controller type :

See
[OpenVMS] How are Bad Block Handled on SCSI Disk Devices?

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/asktima/operating_systems/009370EE-0A09ACC0-1C009F.html
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Rather strange findings.

VMS 7.3 on AStation 500.

Do type of file : parity error.
Defragmenter : aborts when it tries to defragment the file.
Dia reports "MEDIUM ERROR".

ana/dis/read : reports nothing !!!

If I do delete/erase of the file another file created after the delete gets corrupted.

So : bad blocks are not always handled correctly.

I renamed the last corrupted file to .badblocks and marked it with set file/nomov. Defragmenter is now happy. This seems the only working solution.

Wim
Wim
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You could also set it to /NOBACKUP so that its contents are not read during backups.
Vladimir K. Vershinin
Frequent Advisor

And BACKUP and RESTORE disk contents.

Vladimir Vershinin
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Well, if the disks have become that unreliable, then I would try to replace them between the BACKUP and the RESTORE ;-)

But I guess that's not an option. Wim's managers have to get paid first, it does not matter how much time he wastes with unreliable hardware :-(
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I have about 70 Stations of 1997 that are not under contract. Bad blocks do happen on non-shadowed disks and after repairing them they can be used for years (or days if you have bad luck).

Another station had lost its bootblock and also its home blocks. But the init went fine.
Should I try to reuse it or throw the station away ?

Wim
Wim
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

That was a rethorical question, right?

Sorry, I thought you have a highly mission-critical environment. Sounds like the stations not part of it - never mind.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

uwe,

Yes it is mission critical. But management doesn't want to pay the maintenance as long as we have 2 times more stations than users (and I understand because HP is asking a lot for these oldies).

Wim
Wim
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Ah, you're doing self-maintenance with enough spare parts - haven't noticed that until now. Yes, that can make sense, thanks.