Operating System - OpenVMS
1753903 Members
9992 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Analyzing the system error log (SYS$ERRORLOG)

Donald McCue
Occasional Advisor

Analyzing the system error log (SYS$ERRORLOG)

Hi!

What is preferred way to look at the error log file generated by the Alpha using OpenVMS? Does anyone here have experience with the DECEvent utility and its installation?

The "old" {VMS version 5 days for 8000 series VAXen} way of looking at the error and tracking information stored by the system was:

$ Set def SYS$ERRORLOG
$ Rename ERRLOG>SYS ERRLOG.OLD
$ Analyze/Err ERRLOG.OLD

This output provided nice information about the system and any faults that it had encountered along the way. Unfortunately when I run this set of commands on my new Alpha {using the latest and great version of OpenVMS for DEC Alpha machines} I get this error message that says a new header was found and that I must install DECEvent and run a conversion utility.

I guess my question is - if analyzing the system errorlog is so much trouble now and requires installing a new product and then running conversion on it just to see it, IS THERE SOME COOL NEW WAY TO DO THIS? Have the operating system programmed in some new way of analyzing system errors that my dated training does not cover? How do system managers now analyze these errors?

Help! Thanks in advance,

Donald
Hi!
4 REPLIES 4
Mac Lilley
Frequent Advisor

Hello Donald

Analyze/err has been replaced by Decevent and more recently Compaq Analyze. These are both "layered" products and are installed separately from VMS. You should check out the OpenVMS web pages for more information (http://h71000.www7.hp.com/)

Best regards

Mac
Rick Dyson
Valued Contributor

As a FYI. Soon, (v7.3-2, I think) Analyze/Error will be returned to OpenVMS.

rick

Richard W Hunt
Valued Contributor

You might also try the DIAGNOSE command.

$ HELP DIAGNOSE

reveals that DIAGNOSE looks awful much like the old ANAL/ERROR command when you get right down to it. I think if you have ever used the ANAL/ERROR command, you'll be comfortable with the DIAGNOSE command.
Sr. Systems Janitor
Gary Sachs
Advisor

FYI... DIAGNOSE is DECEVENT

gary