108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Announcing the Availability Manager V2.4 and DECamds V7.3-2A

SOLVED
Go to solution
Barry Kierstein
Advisor

Announcing the Availability Manager V2.4 and DECamds V7.3-2A

The Availability Manager team is pleased to announce the release of the Availability Manager V2.4 and DECamds V7.3-2A. Both of these kits are now available on the Web at the following URL:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/availman/

The DECamds and Availability Manager kits address several kitting issues that existed in previous versions of the products. These issues resulted in newer kits not being able to update SYS$RMDRIVER files. This problem existed in OpenVMS Alpha and VAX systems from V6.2 up to but not including V7.3; it has been addressed in both of the new kits. The problems corrected and new features are in the release notes corresponding to the kits.
One particular note about the Availability Manager kits. The kitting for the Availability Manager for OpenVMS has been updated in preparation for Itanium versions. The Availability Manager kit has been
split into a Data Collector kit and a Data Analyzer kit for OpenVMS Alpha systems. When OpenVMS for the Itanium platform is released, there will also be a Data Analyzer kit to support it.
Reasons for the reorganization are listed on the Availability Manager software download page. The main reason is kit size. In sum, adding the files necessary for the Itanium platform to the already large kit
would have more than doubled the kit size. For a smooth installation, please read the download page and installation notes carefully.
The next version of the Availability Manager will be available when the next version of OpenVMS is released. It will support the next version of OpenVMS on the Itanium and Alpha platforms.
Thank you for using our products. If you have any questions, let the team know.

The Availability Manager Team
OpenVMS Engineering
10 REPLIES 10
David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor

Barry,

Thanks for the updated kits.
One comment though -- the quick "survey" seems
to assume the use of AM rather than AMDS.
We use AMDS and *not* AM and have no immediate
plans to start using AM. I suspect that any
information gathered from the survey is likely
to be inaccurate with regard to what people are
actually using.

Regards
Dave
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Barry, tnx for your work.

Are any more detailed infos available about the future, esp. the 'monitor over WAN' feature?
Barry Kierstein
Advisor

Dave,

On the survey, good point about the survey. Maybe two entrances to the download page depending on if you want to get DECamds or AM. Sound good?

Barry
Barry Kierstein
Advisor

Karl,

The work in the short term is some cleanup of things that got missed in the I64 port time frame. There are some high-end configurations that some customers have where AM does not display things quite right, etc.
The "monitor over WAN" feature is the most requested feature above all. This has been investigated, and a plan worked out. This included a number of talks with the Java, TCP/IP and security folks, and will continue to do so. Because this feature deals with heavy security issues over the WAN, the team here is going to be very careful to implement things securely, and document things well.
Hope this helps...

Barry
David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor
Solution

Barry,

Either two entry points or another question asking
which product you use...

Thanks
Dave
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Parhaps a question could be added - if you are using AMDS then why (performance, don't like java based apps, functionality etc).

Some good ideas.

What I have so far about not going from DECamds to AM is the following:

Java execution speed/memory
Like single AM group/node display of DECamds
Like single node display of DECamds
Like single process display of DECamds
AM doesn't run on a VAX
Problems running on OpenVMS w/100dpi fonts

Are there any others? Thanks!

Barry
Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

Barry, there was also a problem that PRODU CT REMOVE AVAIL_MAN (even for newer kits including Availability Manager 2.3.1) did not remove AMDS$RMCP.EXE (if present) from SYS$COMMON:[AMDS]. After the reboot, AVAIL_MAN loaded the incompatible SYS$COMMON:[AMDS] version. I then had to manually delete the SYS$COMMON:[AMDS] version and reboot a 2nd time. I finally made myself a note to check for and delete AMDS$RMCP.EXE if present before rebooting.
Lawrence
Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

Barry, that should be AM Data Analyzer doesn't run on VAX. I use the AM Data Collector kit on all our VAXes.
Lawrence