Operating System - OpenVMS
1753877 Members
7392 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Announcing the VMS Gateway WEB site. FAQ available now.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Didier Morandi_2
Frequent Advisor

Announcing the VMS Gateway WEB site. FAQ available now.

Following my post in here on VMS Consultants requested, I have set up a couple of WEB pages to tell you more on that project.

The FAQ is on line there: http://www.vmsgateway.net/mig_corner.htm

Please continue to send CVs and/or feedback.

CVs will be posted after I have contacted each of you via the Groups mailing list I'm setting up to avoid making noise in this forum.

Thanks a lot to all who already replied to our request.

D.
I want to become the European VMS VP :-)
4 REPLIES 4
Didier Morandi_2
Frequent Advisor

Re: Announcing the VMS Gateway WEB site. FAQ available now.

Didier Morandi wrote:

> there: http://www.vmsgateway.net/mig_corner.htm

Hmmm... er... there was a slight error in the FAQ. The expected rates are on a *per day* basis, not *per month* as erroneously written in the FAQ.

Thanks to Bob G.
(were you the only one to read it, Bob? :-)

The responsible for that "slight error" will be sent to the Bastille.

D.
David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor
Solution

Didier,

I also noticed the rate but just assumed that
the cost of living in Europe was somewhat less
than in Australia :-)

Dave
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

Didier an interesting idea in principle, but I can make a few suggestions.

1. If you ever want a web site that looks halfway professional, they you do not have "under construction sections", particularly not when 80% of the site is "under construction".

2. The colour scheme is garish, as is the selection of fonts.

3. The page is not even html 4.01 complaint (doctypes, character encoding statements etc) Not a good indicator of ability to hold it's own against "state of the art"

4. I presume, in fact hope that you are running this on CSWS (or at least WASD) on a VMS Platform - have you considered coding it in XML/RSS which will allow it to be "cast" out onto the net. The support is there... (JAva, PHP, and XML are all supported with CSWS (Apache on VMS) - I am working on getting them going on a VMS Hosted site at the moment...)

5. You probably want to spell check the pages - there are spelling mistakes there...

6. Under the rates section, it finishes with the line "To keep the Consultant on his/her project, 50% of the paiement may be given at the end of the project only." How magnamimous of you. First rule of consulting negotiation, is don't open by giving away the baby with the bathwater...

7. There are a number of cynical and whimsical comments in there - fine in discussion forums, not when you are trying to promote a professional image.

8. It's still not clear from all of this - do you actually have jobs there now for VMS Gurus or is this a stopgap in anticipation of future opportunities. If there are existing jobs, particularly porting, are there real reasons why they have to be done "on site" - when we did VAX to Alpha porting, most of it was remote. (Not that a trip to Paris doesn't have some modicum of appeal - I have heard that you have some reasonable restaurants around there... :-)

Q
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
Didier Morandi_2
Frequent Advisor

Hi Peter,

Some answers:
1. "under construction sections",
ok.

2. The colour scheme is garish, as is the selection of fonts.
ok.

3. The page is not even html 4.01 complaint../..
I know. I have to move from FrontPage to DreamWeaver...

4. I presume, in fact hope that you are running this on CSWS
No. On my ISP's server.

5. You probably want to spell check the pages - there are spelling mistakes there...
I do not have an English dic within FP :-(

6. Under the rates section, it finishes with the line "To keep the Consultant on his/her project, 50% of the paiement may be given at the end of the project only." How magnamimous of you. First rule of consulting negotiation, is don't open by giving away the baby with the bathwater...
Nothing to do with me. It will be a Consultant-HP nego. The VMSGateway will have nothing to do with it.

7. There are a number of cynical and whimsical comments in there
will be removed.

8. It's still not clear from all of this - do you actually have jobs there now for VMS Gurus or is this a stopgap in anticipation of future opportunities.
It is a gather of skills to offer to HP in parallel with those big 6 who will send CV's of people with 6 monts of DCL, charged 1200e/day.

Thanks for your inputs.

D.