1745830 Members
4109 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Another NetBeans installation question

Homer Shoemaker
Frequent Advisor

Another NetBeans installation question

Will the distributed NetBeans Client for OpenVMS, which is a plug-in for NetBeans 5.5.1 running on the windows desktop, work with NetBeans 6.1? NetBeans 6.1 is the current version at NetBeans.org.

Has anyone done this yet?

I don't even see how to download the older version on their site.

7 REPLIES 7
Homer Shoemaker
Frequent Advisor

Re: Another NetBeans installation question

I found the 5.5.1 download location. And I'm going to guess that the NetBeans Client for OpenVMS plugin is version dependent. If anyone knows differently, please let me know. I'll leave this open for a while.
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

To get 5.5.1, you have to follow the "Archive" link at the netbeans.org download page. The following should get you there directly:

http://www.netbeans.info/downloads/all.php?b_id=3095&src=1

You cannot run the OpenVMS plug-ins with later versions of NetBeans. Something about the plug-in infrastructure changed and it won't even install the plug-ins.
Homer Shoemaker
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, Craig. I did find it, and installed it. ("Installed it" really doesn't adequately describe all the work I did yesterday with the patches and today with the installations!)

In fact, it's working! Very satisfying to remote compile.

Very, very soon and I'll be moving off of an AS800 v7.1-1h1 to an R2660 v8.3 and off of a DS20 v7.1-2 to another R2660 v8.3. Oh happy day!
Meg Watson
Advisor

Hi Homer,

The Distributed NetBeans plug-in will not install into NetBeans 6.1, although we are porting it to NetBeans 6.x for our next release.

It is a "twisty maze of passages all alike" to figure out how to download NetBeans 5.5.1. Here is one way to do it:

- browse to www.netbeans.org
- click the "download netbeans ide" button
- click on "archive" in the upper right hand corner of the download page
- in the combo boxes select "5.5.1" for the version and "release" for the build type. Click continue.
- On the next page, you want the line with the product name "IDE", slick the continue link on that line.
- On the next page, select the download installer for your system.

Thanks for your interest in Distributed Netbeans.

Best Regards,
Meg
Homer Shoemaker
Frequent Advisor

Thank you, Meg.

It's all good. I followed the detailed installation guide as carefully as I could, and asked questions when I had to do something I wasn't quite familiar with. And it worked the first time! A lot of fun, really.

By the way, I may be posting more questions later about using the NetBeans Client for OpenVMS and some type of CVS in a configuration where I can still keep the gold versions of the source on my OpenVMS server. I am still a novice using NetBeans and the answers may be in the documentation somewhere.

Meg Watson
Advisor

Hi Homer,

Glad you're enjoying Distributed Netbeans.

We look forward to answering your questions!

Meg
Homer Shoemaker
Frequent Advisor

Thank you, all.