7590 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Another Polycenter Watchdog issue

Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Another Polycenter Watchdog issue

Hi again guys,

So, I have a baffeling problem... I'll start off and explain why this happened. We moved a batchjob from one queue to another the other week.

The result of this became that Polycenter Watchdog started reporting that the batchjob was missing, as it should. So I went into the configuration utility and made the changes, except that I was missinformed about which user it should run as... this resulted in removing the faulty entry and adding a new proper one. So far so good... except that the old entry, set for user "system" is still there and the other entry for user "trans_sr" is also there... I can't seem to find the entry specifing that user "system" should have a batchjob like this running in the configuration. (attaching a croped show all from "sense watchdog edit profile show all")

Also, when I tried add a an entry named RMU_TRANS_RESERVDRIFT_BCK with user SYSTEM and on queue NODE2_TRANS it just said that an entry like that already exists, but it's not in the list or anywhere.
Also when I tried to delete the working entry and add it again it produced a second faulty error saying (showing both, the lowercase is the original):
21-JAN 00:17 NODE2 Batch RMU_TRANS_RESERVDRIFT_BCK in queue node2_trans (User
system) is missing
26-JAN 10:11 NODE2 Batch RMU_TRANS_RESERVDRIFT_BCK in queue NODE2_TRANS (User
SYSTEM) is missing

Anyone have any ideas as to why?
ps. The polycenter machine runs OpenVMS-AXP 7.2-2 and NODE2 runs OpenVMS-AXP 7.3-2 ds.

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson
4 REPLIES 4
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Fredrik,

As you're no doubt aware, Polycenter products are somewhat orphaned. Don't expect any future changes or bugfixes, so you have to live with what you've got!

What you describe sounds like an issue of case sensitivity in the watchdog data base. I'd suggest deleting the entry, then repeating the delete with the username in lower case. Repeat delete and list until you've cleared out all references, then add the entry with the correct case.

It's probably worth keeping a command procedure with all the commands to reproduce your watchdog configuration. That way you can blow away the whole data base and recreate it easily.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Hi John,

Yes, it is old and scrumpy :P But at the moment we don't have much choice, these systems are to be scrapped in a near future (or atleast that is what they say :P). This makes it virtually impossible for me (as a consultant) to add more hours just to fix up a new monitoring solution.

The issue I'm having is not that it's upper or lower case. It's just that an old faulty entry just won't disappear...
I've tried deleting all entries regarding this batchjob and recreating them.
Also tried to recreate the faulty one but just got a warning that it already exists... then when I tried to fill in the information manually to delete it, it says that the entry does not exist...
I even tried to reboot the machine but the same entry showed up again, and this time it had the same datestamp and timestamp as previously, which makes me wonder what has happened... Obviously it should add another entry to PSW when rebooted if something actually is wrong, not the same entry.
Also I tried to create the batchjob on the correct machine and in the right queue, let it be for 30 minutes on hold but that didn't solve it either.

I already have a complete export of all the commands to set up our environment for Polycenter System Watchdog but I was hoping that I didn't have to drop the database and recreate it.

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Have no experience with it but did you do the sense watchdog reconfigure after you modified the config ?

Wim
Wim
Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Yes I have, should have mentioned that. Also checked that the profile I'm editing is the one being used. And checked the date which coincided with the yesterday's date :)

It seems to be rather tricky to get some good google hits on any issues concerning PSW :/

Hopefully, if we get OP5 running on the new machines I might be able to talk my boss into removing PSW from service... but it's a long shot and it'll probably cost for licenses which they probably won't be all that willing to pay for :P

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson