1752720 Members
5613 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Anyone use OMS?

Victor Mendham
Regular Advisor

Anyone use OMS?

Anyone use OMS, care to relate any experiences, the good , the bad...

The OpenVMS Management Station (OMS) allows you to manage multiple OpenVMS systems from various Windows desktop platforms OMS includes two components:
Client ├в Installed on the PC from which you will manage OpenVMS systems
Server ├в Installed on each OpenVMS system to be managed

Account creation tasks can be done from OMS:
Add a UAF entry
Grant rights identifiers
Create directory
Set up disk quota
Set up user VMSmail characteristics

Account maintenance tasks can be done from OMS:
Update disk quota
Add privilege
Grant identifier
Remove account

11 REPLIES 11
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

I have used Mgmt Station for quite some time. But just found out that it was evantually easier to do the task using command line within UAF.

rgds
Mobeen
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

a friend of mine was interested, noticed that it was lacking the queues (print and batch, stop, and start...), and said it was useless

:-(
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I never used it but removed it from our systems. My boss used it without knowing what he was doing.

The problem was that the agent on VMS regularly started looping. It also doesn't handle nodes that are down/unreachable, sysuaf's that are distributed etc.
Wim
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

works ok but I use it rarely (being more of a command line sort of person). printer queues work ok also. However the emails when the disk error count or disk space gets too low have proved handy but there are other ways to do that.

We've field tested OMS in the past. Heard its moving to IA64. I'd say give it a spin.

With proper training, help desk people can use OMS to reset passwords, restart a queue, etc.

Let's face it, there are some who have never seen or used a command line interface these days. OMS fits the bill nicely for them.

In fact, just before I wrote this, I used it to check on a stalled queue.
Steve Reece
Advisor

I tried it at one point, but it scared me that you couldn't tailor what the user was doing or what a user had access to.. It was an all or nothing thing.
"Try not! Do, or Do not. There is no try!"
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

steve - as far is I can tell you can specify everything you can in authorize, disk quota and vmsmail profile so I don't understand what you7 mean.

One of the nicest features is the ability to create new users based on an existing user or template (we have several disabled accounts with access/resources/identifiers set for different job roles). This is particularly useful where application control is via named identifiers - saves entering a whole lot of GRANT/ID commands!
Steve Reece
Advisor

Ian,
My experience was that you couldn't prevent a helpdesk user (for example) that only needed access to resetting passwords from being able to create new accounts. I wanted a solution where I could limit access to functions and allow access to others through OMS but it didn't seem like it was able to do that.

Times may, however, have changed or I may have missed something.

Steve
"Try not! Do, or Do not. There is no try!"