1752786 Members
6003 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Applications that require ODS5

Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

Applications that require ODS5

My guess is that over time, ODS5 will probably become more of a requirement than it is today.

That said, might there be a listing of today's applications that do require ODS5 floating around somewhere?
18 REPLIES 18
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Dave,

I am not aware of such a list. Examples that come to mind immediatly are Oracle (classic) and GNV. Others certainly will be able to supply more.

Greetings, Martin

P.S. You might want to check out how to assign points to the replies ;-)
John Eerenberg
Valued Contributor

Apache requires ODS-5 on the Apache disk (though other disks can still use ODS-2).

Pack cluster sizes are more efficient on ODS-5 but that is available on ODS-2 disks too with restrictions. Read $ help init /cluster very carefully.

ODS-5 is not available on systems prior to VMS V7.2.

I think ODS-2 is easier to manage. Given the reasonableness of $init/cluster functionality on ODS-2, I will stay with ODS-2 for quite some time and use ODS-5 as needed. Of cource I'll probably change my mind next week when I see all the responses in this thread. :-)

john
It is better to STQ then LDQ
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Java, Python, Mysql...
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

I see we are creating a list. ;-)

Thanks.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I think the major driving force for ODS-5 was/is Advanced Server V7.

It is great that you have agreed to compile a list ;-)
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

John

Apache requires ODS-5 on the Apache disk

Isn't it so that Apache >>> 2.0 <<< requires ODS-5, but Apache 1.x is quite happy with ODS-2?

And there are other reasons as well to NOT upgrade Apache 1.3 to 2.0 (the Stream_LF issue for example)
Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Dieter Rossbach
Regular Advisor

Apache 1.3.x is fine with ODS-2.

Regards

Dieter
Dima Bessonov
Frequent Advisor

It's not that simple with Oracle. Before Database Server 9 (i.e. for Oracle versions up to 8.1.7.x), ODS5 was NOT supported at all. From version 9 on, ODS5 is REQUIRED for the disk were Oracle puts its executables but is optional for database disks. The funny result of that is, if one upgrades Oracle from 8.1.7 to, say, 9.2 he MUST use both an ODS5 disk for the new Oracle "system" disk and an ODS2 disk for the existing one. You can't do the upgrade in place.
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

>I think the major driving force for
>ODS-5 was/is Advanced Server V7.

No, not really. The driver was "NT affinity", remember that? Advanced Server V7 was part of on of the "Affinity Waves". Advanced Server V7* is very happy to serve ODS-2 disks as well as ODS-5.

Generally speaking, UNIX originated programs are more likely to need ODS-5. Certainly the underlying C-RTL is only adding UNIX file name support when on ODS-5 disks. New features tend to be ODS-5 specific as well.

Brad
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International