1753894 Members
7752 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Applications that require ODS5

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Oh! NO! Brad, you have ruined my day ;-)
Please, never again mention 'affinity'...
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

>Oh! NO! Brad, you have ruined my day ;-)
>Please, never again mention 'affinity'...

When we were talking about the work that became the UNIX Portability effort, we were trying to decide what to call it. Some one suggested "UNIX Affinity". If I recall correctly, I went screaming from the room... ;^)

Brad (who as one of the Project Leaders for Advanced Server was firmly entrenched in the "NT A-word" waves)
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
John Eerenberg
Valued Contributor

Jan,
> "And there are other reasons as well to NOT upgrade Apache 1.3 to 2.0 (the Stream_LF issue for example)"
We are quite happy with v2 and developing new apps (imagine that!).
Could you elaborate on the stream_lf issue?
It is better to STQ then LDQ
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Well done, Brad!!

I recall that the Tru64 people at that time had a similar program to hand their users over to NT as well, but I don't remember its name.
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hi,

well, now there is a list at ;-)

http://zinser.no-ip.info/eng/vms/qaa/ods5app.htmlx

A few notes:

- I added Netbeans
- Java and MySQL are not on the list since to the best of my knowledge they do not require ODS-5. If you have sources showing otherwise please get in touch with me.

Greetings, Martin
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

Martin,

I think the Java run-time works on ODS-2 but the SDK requires ODS-5.
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Craig,

I looked at the installation instructions for the SDK and I did not see it mention ODS-5 as a requirement. Any specific quotes?

Greetings, Martin

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

John,

The quickest demo of the STREAM_LF issue in Apache 2.0 is perhaps also the easiest to do:
Display any existing HTML page, then EDIT it minimally (replace a space by a space eg), and do a Refresh on your browser.
I'm not sure if there are any browser dependencies, but over here 'everybody' has to use Billy's Exploder, and the results are terrific (as in totally useless): most of the display consists of small squares.
Really the only way to get things displayed as they used to be with Apache 1.3 is to have ALL files CONVERTed to STREAM_LF. Any program that delivers webpages has to be modified to have ALL generated or modified pages CONVERTed.
_WE_ definitely won't be upgrading to Apache 2.x before this is settled!

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

It's a bit besides the topic - but this is just THE BIG POINT that a lot of people seem to forget.
Usage of OpenSource (read - UNIX-based) software seems to be designed and written without ANY idea of how other OS's may react. A lot of these programs can be VERY useful - when they only could co-operate with native (read non-Unix) programs. As long as the requirement of STREAM_LF format is not lifted, they cannot easily be used.

Same applies to ODS-5 and ODS-2. I wouldn't mind if the program itself required ODS-5 (Martin: JAVA 1.4.x does!), but I would mind the datafiles to require ODS-5 because of multiple dots, spaces and all kind of characters in the filename, or even very long filenames. No-one has ever convinced me of the usability of a filename + extension over 2 * 39 characters, let alone over 255 for the whole; nor have I been convinced about case-sensitivity in filenames (The only advantage is readability, sometimes).

There's a LOT of education to be done. Not only in just getting things running on VMS, the's easy enough. Point is to educate co-operation!

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager