SOLVED
Go to solution
Deepak Raheja
Frequent Advisor

Asking date time frequently ?

Sir,
Everytime I log off my Alphaserver DS10(Open VMS7.3) it asks date/time to enter
DD-MMM-YYYY HH:MM

Is it the degradation of CMOS/Dallas chip ?

Plz advice.

Regards,
Deepak Raheja
10 REPLIES 10
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Re: Asking date time frequently ?

Deepak,

I assume you mean every time you boot it again?

Then your battery needs renewing.

_IF_ it is REALLY when you LOG OFF, then probably somebody messed with the LOGOFF command...

Please provide more details.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
RBrown_1
Trusted Contributor

Everytime you log off?

Do you mean when you type LOGOUT at the $ prompt?
Deepak Raheja
Frequent Advisor

Sorry Brown/Eden

I choosed wrong word say LOG OFF,Instead reboot
I confess.

every time I reboot the machine it asks Date time,any solution

Regards,
Deepak Raheja
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Also check system parameter TIMEPROMPTWAIT:
If it is 1, reset it to 0 in CURRENT:
SYSGEN> use current
SYSGEN> set TIMEPROMPTWAIT 0
SYSGEN> write current
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

... but no, in Your othrt thread "BIOS" says clock chip is bad: is it the same system?
If yes then SYSGEN TIMEPROMPTWAIT will not help.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Deepak Raheja
Frequent Advisor

No Joseph,
CMOS battery problem server is another one,
an Date/Time problem is on other server.

Both are different issue..

Regards,
Deepak Raheja
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Deepak,

If this is a different problem, then both possible explanations attach.

It could be the battery, or it could be the SYSGEN parameter TIMEDPROMPTWAIT.

Check both, it could be either or both in concert, they are not exclusive.

A note to others following this thread: the coin cells used for providing TOY storage refresh have a finite life. While the life of individual batteries vary depending on many factors, the "class" of processors will go through their first sets of batteries in a related time window. If a system starts losing TOY information, replace the "coin" battery (typically on the CPU board).

Battery failure can go unnoticed on OpenVMS systems because of the relative infrequency of bootstrap operations.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Hoff
Honored Contributor

If this prompting occurs specifically on LOGOUT (and not system startup, and not bootstrap, and not at other times, but very specifically when you enter the command LOGOUT at the $), then this is almost certainly local customization, or something external to VMS (such as a PC client package, add-on auditing) that's doing something in response to whatever command you're using to LOGOUT, in addition to what VMS does.

VMS does not prompt for time at LOGOUT. Period.

As a test (when you're ready to issue that LOGOUT command) enter the command EOJ where you would enter LOGOUT, and see if that prompts for the time. EOJ is a different way to LOGOUT, and most folks that are catching LOGOUT don't know about it.

If the EOJ command (or the analogous STOP /ID=0 command) does not prompt for time, then you'll probably find a LOG or LOGOUT symbol around that's pointing to a DCL command procedure. SHOW SYMBOL LOG and SHOW SYMBOL LOGOUT (or whatever command you were using)

It's also possible that you're operating in a menu environment, and that's what is prompting you; when you return to the menu tool or procedure or executable image or whatever. When you LOGOUT of DCL, you're returning into the menu-based or prompt-based or scripted environment, or back into the application. And that environment is prompting you. (EOJ would not bypass the time prompt here.)

If this is some sort of local prompting (as I obviously suspect), it's also potentially something implemented for some very site-specific reason. And something that may well have an alternative approach; there are ways to get the system time that don't ask the user for it; VMS has a system clock, after all.