Operating System - OpenVMS
1752771 Members
5229 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Availability Manager 3.0-2 won't install on Windows 7 (Professional 64bit)

EdgarZamora_1
Respected Contributor

Availability Manager 3.0-2 won't install on Windows 7 (Professional 64bit)

I know it's probably not supported, but was just wondering if anyone has successfully installed the Availability Manager Data Analyzer on a Windows 7 pc. When it gets to the point of "Installing drivers" a popup saying "Severe error could not install AmNdis50.sys" comes up and the install terminates. I've tried a bunch of different "compatibility" options to no avail. I also tried copying the file over from a working Windows XP installation but still no dice.
4 REPLIES 4
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Load it into the Windows XP compatibility box? That's the Microsoft solution to this sort of stuff.

As for whether HP is moving any of this Windows stuff forward, that's something you'll probably need to discuss directly with the HP OpenVMS folks.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Edgar,

Although it's good to have this mentioned in the forum so other people are aware of the issue, anything like this also needs to be formally reported to HP.

A crucible of informative mistakes
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Found this in earlier (2.4, 3.0) release notes :

To install the Availability Manager on a Windows system, you must use the local Administrator account. Some users have had problems when they use a Windows domain account that has Administrator privileges instead. For example,a failure message might appear saying "Failure to install AMNDIS50" after most of the installation is complete. This problem will be corrected in a future release.

May be it isn't corrected ?

Wim
Wim
Barry Kierstein II

The problem is AmNdis50.sys is a 32-bit Windows driver. It won't work on 64-bit Windows systems, unfortunately... The Windows driver would have to be built against a 64-bit Windows version, and then certified by Microsoft.

Now, if you wanted to run just the Data Analyzer on Windows 64-bit, follow the directions I gave in http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1399873. Since this setup doesn't need the Windows driver, it should run fine. Be aware that this setup will only be able to connect to Data Servers.