1753774 Members
6823 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Availability manager not seeing group

Mike Smith_33
Super Advisor

Availability manager not seeing group

I have just downloaded v206 and installed the data collector on an Alphaserver which is connected to subnet xx. I went through the docs line by line and modified all files as needed. I then installed the data analyzer on my Windows laptop which is in the same building (different floor) connected to subnet yy.

I made sure passwords matched on both ends and I have * as the lan address in the amds$driver_access.dat file. I have started the data collector on VMS and started the analyzer on my pc. Yes I did verify group on both sides. I am not seeing the VMS nodes (group) on my pc.

I have not seen much in the way of troubleshooting in the docs I have come across, can someone point me towards something or provide suggestions for verifying connectivity.

I do have a small alpha on subnet xx that I am thinking of trying as a data analyzer but I tried going to the pc first.
8 REPLIES 8
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Check the Amds protocol is started on Vms

$ ana/sys
sh lan

You should see "AMDS"

Has Your Vms node several network cards ?
Does the previous command shows the Amds protocol on one or all the network cards ?

Amds is a non routable protocol, so may be it is filtered and never comes to your PC ?
Mike Smith_33
Super Advisor

I do see AMDS using the sh lan.

I have device eia0 and ewa0. When I set up the config files I hardcoded EWA0 in. I see AMDS on EWA19 in the sh lan.

You bring up a point that I was not sure about. Once I cross to a different subnet (xx to yy) I was not sure if the protocol would go over. If not then should I set up the analyzer on a small alphaserver that is in the xx subnet?
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

>>> If not then should I set up the analyzer on a small alphaserver that is in the xx subnet?

It will work if you do that, but you should ask the network guys which protocols are filtered between the different LAN in your location.

By the way the latest version of Amds uses a routable protocol (Amds can be used to manage Vms nodes in a WAN), and so you will not encounter this problem.

Mike Smith_33
Super Advisor

I thought this was the newest version?
Mike Smith_33
Super Advisor

Network guy said he is not blocking anything.
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Mike,

I think to work properly, both client and analyzer node must be on the same broadcast domain, i.e. LAN segment. AMDS does NOT use a higher protocol. You may install the analyzer on an Alphanode in the same LAN segment and a X-Server on your PC and redirect the output from the analyzer to your PC.

Or you may use the T3.0 FIELDTEST version, which has a sort of datacollector on every LAn segment which sends the data to your PC using normnal TCPIP protocols. But this is a fieldtest version and not for use in production environments!

regards Kalle
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

It's my understanding the latest version of AMDS will allow you to set up a local server and forward data to a remote analysis system. The AMDS protcol will not cross subnets. If your network team is willing, see section 1.2 of AM User's guide, http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/availman/6552pro.HTML,

The Availability Manager protocol is
based on the 802.3 Extended Packet Format
(also known as SNAP). The IEEE
Availability Manager protocol values are
as follows:
Protocol ID: 08-00-2B-80-48
Multicast Address: 09-00-2B-02-01-09

If your routers filter protocols in your
network, add these values to your network
protocols so that the private transport is
propagated

I set up a Windows system on local LAN and connecting with terminal services/remote desktop or whatever remote accesss is called on the latest must buy upgrade. Access is controlled with firewall rules/VPN access and userid on the AMDS node.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Mike Smith_33
Super Advisor

I have set up a ds10 on the local lan with the data analyzer. It is seeing the collectors with no problem. Thanks for all the responses.