108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BACKUP/CREATE/BEFORE/SINCE problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

BACKUP/CREATE/BEFORE/SINCE problem

backup/replace/rewind backup_tape_1:liv_disk_1.bck/sav/created/since=3-oct-2005/BEF=4-OCT-2005/sele=[maint.alm.output] dsa1:[maint.alm.output.2005-10-03...]/by_own=parent
DATA REQUEST for files between 3-OCT-2005 and 4-OCT-2005.
DESIRED RESULT: Restore only files created between 3-OCT-2005 and 4-OCT-2005
ACTUAL RESULT: Restored all files from the directory tree.
COMMENTS: Some files have version limits. Fortunately I restored to another directory since this is a production system.
I haven't tried it on VMS 7.3-2. I dont' have any VMS 8.x systems.
Lawrence
10 REPLIES 10
Travis Craig
Frequent Advisor

Lawrence,

In the System Management Utilities Reference Manual, I see that it differentiates between qualifiers that apply to input files and those that apply to input save-sets. /SINCE applies to input files, so I suspect that means it applies only when you are copying files into a save-set or from one directory tree to another.

I guess the (rather annoying) work-around would be to recover the whole save-set and then copy the files from the dates you want.

--Travis Craig
My head is cold.
Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

1. Both /BEFORE and /SINCE are valid BACKUP input file selection qualifiers. Apparently you can't use both together. Why not?
2. It could have been a disaster if I had restored to the original directory and interfered with production.
Lawrence
Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

This is a restore from a full backup. We didn't have an incremental from that far back.
Lawrence
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Hmm,

It seems to so me that the answer Travis gave was correct, useful, and courteous. It even had a potential workaround.

However, Travis was assigned 1 point. Why?

Are you out of points? I'll be happy to give you some! :-)

Or was the answer perhaps correct, but not the desired one?

[ 0 points for this part of the reply is just fine :-) ]

Anyway...

I agree with both of you that
a) /since would be a useful, meaningful Input Save-Set Qualifier
b) The help file is too subtle distinguishing "Input Save-Set Qualifier" and "Input File-Selection Qualifier"
c) It should possibly not just ignore the /SINCE but fail the command altogether.

If those observations are correct then I would recommend a support call/Email requesting a documentation and/or code improvement for backup.

Cheers,
Hein.

Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

Travis: Please post again. I'm afraid Hein is correct in that you gave a correct answer. I just didn't like the answer although it was an excellent response by you.
1. Restoring a whole saveset (whole disk) might not be practical if the disk is 80% or more full which is often the case. And no they won't buy us larger disks just because a disk fills up.
2. Fortunately the data request was only for one directory. So I created a 2nd directory copied the files with the appropriate /BEFORE/SINCE qualifiers as you suggested. Deleted the files from the original directory I created. Then COPY/REPLACE the files. The /REPLACE is necessary because of multiple versions.
Hein:
1. Yes, the answer was correct but not the desired one.
2. I had missed the "File-Selection". So the documentation is correct but subtle.
3. Yes, it should fail the /BEFORE and /SINCE commands since they aren't valid for a tape saveset input but hopefully with a decent error message.
4. Yes, it would make a good code improvement.
Lawrence
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

[I googled for an Email for Lawrence, but failed to find one, so I'll just reply here]

Excellent reply. Thanks for the clarification Lawrence!

My point assignment remarks were just an observation. Nothing personal. Thanks for the topic. It was a good reminder/warning on this backup behavior.

Cheers,
Hein.

Travis Craig
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Lawrence,

It looks as though everything is clarified now. My experiment included only a /since, and even that didn't work. I'm surprised that Backup hasn't been modified over the years to include date-based selections from save-sets, because this can't be the first time someone has needed one. I would have assumed it would work the way you tried, too.

I guess when disk space is short then you need to make extensive use of the /select qualifier to get the files you want. What a pain! Not to mention time consuming if it means doing a bunch of Backup commands from tape.

--Travis
My head is cold.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Parhaps the Save Set Manager product would help in selecting subsets of backup savesets?

Ian: It might but the company won't buy it. My time is paid for.
Lawrence