108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BACKUP/IMAGE

SOLVED
Go to solution
Thomas Ritter
Respected Contributor

John, are you saying that the shadow another disk and dismount approach is flawed ? If so, how ?
Allan Bowman
Respected Contributor

Ron,

Getting back to your original question, the responses from Steven and Karl seem to answer your question - the additional discussions about whether or not you end up with a valid backup have previously been beaten to death in other threads (I personally have never had an issue with an on-line image backup in over 15 years of doing them). One suggestion I would make is to not put the saveset in your [backup] directory - I always put it in [000000]. With older versions of Standalone backup, you could only reliably restore from the top level directory - I'm not sure of the status of the current version. Yes, you are creating the backup on-line and can put it anywhere (I have even done it across the network), but if you ever need to restore, you will probably be using Standalone.

Allan in Atlanta
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] you could only reliably restore
> from the top level directory [...]

Really? You could (and can) only _install_
VMS (VAX) from save sets in the [000000]
directory, but I don't recall any problems
with any BACKUP operations from anywhere
else. (That's not a non-existence proof,
of course, and most of my restoration
experience involved tapes, which are pretty
much directory-free.)
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

In my opinion, a restore of a backup/ign=int results in about the same situation as when you have a crash (except that the risk for inconsistency between 2 files is greater due to the time of the backup). Even if you use convert as John said, you may find differences if you have bad luck.

And I never had any problems after a crash (but had statistically speaking not enough crashes).

So, not 100% save but save enough.

Wim
Wim
IFX_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks.
I'll consider what is appropriate and best enough to do recovery.