1752564 Members
5596 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BIND binds CPU

Allan R. Booska

BIND binds CPU

I am running OpenVMS AXP 7.1-2 with TCP/IP version 4.2 ECO 5. On about a weekly basis, UCX$BIND takes 100% of the CPU. Trying to cleanly shut down BIND doesn't work because it's unresponsive. Killing the process gets the system back, but then various services such as FTP and SMTP do not work correctly. TELNET seems to be unaffected. Rebooting the system gets everything back working properly. Has anyone else ever seen this before?
4 REPLIES 4
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Re: BIND binds CPU

Hello Allan,

as you are certainly aware TCP/IP 4.2ECO5 is a
very old version of this product. While I can comment on your problem from current experience, Bind is one of the components of TCP/IP that is under constant development and bug fixing. While it would be best to upgrade both VMS and TCP/IP on your box to current versions, if you are for some reason locked in with 7.1-2 you still might want to consider to upgrade to TCP/IP 5.1 (plus ECOs), which is the latest version of the product supported with this particular OS version.

Greetings, Martin
Allan R. Booska

Martin,

Thank you very much for your thoughts on this. As you point out, I am painfully aware of how old this version of TCP/IP is. You are also correct that I am locked into the OpenVMS version on this particular box. I had already checked the available patches before posting my question, but didn't see anything for 7.1-2 listed. I'll take a closer look at the site to see if there's an archive of older patches which I missed.

Thanks again for your help.

Allan
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

there is a signifcant change in the DNS server going from UCX V4.2 to V5.1 as you are going from something based on BIND4 to something based on BIND8.

I think ECO5 was the last one for UCX V4.2

Althought UCX V4.2 runs on VMS V7 I seem to remember Compaq (remember them :-) recommending using V5 for VMS V7.1

Hi,

the latest TCP/IP 5.1 patch can be found on ftp.itrc.hp.com in directory

/openvms_patches/layered_products/alpha

Patch file is ALP_TCPIP_ECO-V0501-155.PCSI-DCX_AXPEXE

This is ECO5 for 5.1

Greetings, Martin