108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BMC

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lori_33
Occasional Advisor

BMC

Can I use BMC to boot? I'm at the cli> prompt but can't figure out how to boot from there? Am I getting MP and BMC confused? The hardware is a rx2600.
12 REPLIES 12
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Re: BMC

Lori,

I'm pretty sure you'll need MP. You need the console (CO) and EFI - which can only be accessed by MP. This is a separate card that should be in your machine (with it's own connections).
The sequence is (ALAS) not as straight forward as on Alpha. What you must do depends on what has already been setup: console (on MP), LAN (for telnet access), boot parameters etc. This is normally done with EFI. Once set up, EFI will be the mostly used.
To boot, finally, within EFI select the right FAT device (fs0, normally) and efi directory. From there, select the vms directory. There, you'll find a file named vms_loader.efi - which is the VMS boot loader. So the "boot command" is (once the whole lot has been set up):

P00>fs0:\efi\vms\vms_loader.efi

I don't think this forum is the place to exactly tell you what has to be done to setup your rx2600. Just get the documentation from your HP representative.

(or drop me a line at willem(at)grootersnet(dot)nl)

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Lori,

according to the documentation, you should be able to boot your rx2600 when connecting to the BMC console (port marked Console / SerialA). I have done this, but prefer the MP port, as it can also be connected to via TELNET and offers more functionality.

Check the OpenVMS 8.2EFT Upgrade and Installation Manual at

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82eft/av-xxxxx-te/av-xxxxx-te.html

Chapter B Setting up and Booting HP Integrity Server Systems.

Volker.
Lori_33
Occasional Advisor

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, I know how to use MP and I figured out how to get to the console from BMC you hit the (ESC) then left paren ). To get back to the cli> hit (ESC) then right paren (. Now the problem I'm seeing is when I get to the console after issuing the (ESC) ). I log in shutdown the system. I hit (ESC) ( again and get to the cli> but cannot get back to the console mode from there until I boot VMS from MP. This shouldn't happen, I don't think. I should still be able to get to the console from cli> regardless if OpenVMS is booted or not. Any suggestion?
Lori_33
Occasional Advisor

Hi Volker,

O.K. I've had time to "play" and read a little. When I connect to Serial port A, I immediately get the cli> prompt. From there I hit [esc] and "(" and get a USERNAME. From there if I enter [esc] ")" I go back to the cli>. Staying at the cli> I enter [esc] q or just plain Q, it ask me for my console password, I enter it in correctly it then displays "Admin session initiated." then takes me to the cli>. In reading the documentation you directed me too (thanks much), I don't believe this is suppose to happen. Or maybe? What's up with this??
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Lori,

since this query is pretty OS agnostic, you might want to try your luck in the Itanium servers froum at

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=277

too.

Greetings, Martin
Lori_33
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Oh, O.K. Cool! Thanks
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Lori,

I'm sure that I've used the EFI console on the Serial A port of our rx2600. But you have to shutdown your OpenVMS I64 system to get there...

Volker.
Lori_33
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I've redirected this to the Itanium forum, but I've tried shutting down VMS and I stay in cli> and if I try and quit out of cli>, it just hangs. I'm wonder if the port needs to be configured. I'm at a lost. Thanks!
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Lori,
if you have redirected this thread, please use close button.
In your close answer insert link of redirection too.

Cheers
Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti