108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BOOTCAMP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Randy Johnson_6
Advisor

BOOTCAMP

Does anyone know when,where, and the cost of Bootcamp this year? I see that HP Technology Forum & Expo is scheduled for June 16тАУ19, 2008..
Is one better than the other?

Randy,
16 REPLIES 16
EdgarZamora_1
Respected Contributor
Solution

Bootcamp is the week of May 18th in same hotel up in Nashua. I am not 100% sure of the cost but $1495 seems to ring a bell.
EdgarZamora_1
Respected Contributor

Hoff
Honored Contributor

I started the 2008 bootcamp logistics note a while back, with what information is available:

http://64.223.189.234/node/730

The bootcamp web site (talked with Sue on Monday) and the session listings and such aren't ready quite yet.

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Randy,

>>>
Is one better than the other?
<<<

Depends on your perspective & requirements.

If you are seeking (nearly) pure VMS, pretty much in depth, then definitely choose bootcamp.

If you seek the breadth of HP stuff, then the tech forum will be your prefered choice.

If you go to the bootcamp, I hope to see uou there.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

>>>Is one better than the other?

Adding to Jan's remarks, the Bootcamp, also known as the SuePosium, is focused on VMS with a large helping of Integrity and Storage. The sessions are detailed.

The Technology forum covers all HP products. You won't find the depth of VMS information, but you will see a broader scope of products covered. Some of the hands on labs, particularly for storage products, I found especially useful.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

I have only been to one Bootcamp (2007) and it reminded me of the DECUS Symposiums from the 1983-1986 time frame, although on a smaller scale. The sessions tend to be longer and more in depth than the last of the Encompasserve sponsored Symposia I attended (probably 1998?)

The Bootcamp has a large VMS engineering presence, wealth of technical information (presentations are technically oriented, not marketing oriented), and in general a technical (vs. managerial) audience. You must sign a blanket non-disclosure agreement for things that have not been disclosed in public. In my opinion, very little fit under that category, it is primarily to protect them in case something slips out that they don't want to see posted to comp.os.vms

For me, the Bootcamp is the only thing I would consider, the contacts and personal networking is very helpful. And the sidebar conversations with VMS engineers is an opportunity that you probably won't get at the Technology Expo (not as many engineers will be there, since it isn't held in VMS engineering's back yard.)

RE: Andy Bustamante "The Technology forum covers all HP products. You won't find the depth of VMS information, but you will see a broader scope of products covered. Some of the hands on labs, particularly for storage products, I found especially useful."

I am not sure if Andy was referring to the hands on at the Technology forum or the Bootcamp. There are hands on labs at the bootcamp, and I found these to be useful.

Jon
it depends
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

The hands on sessions and the illuminating discussions in the corridor and bar are particularly good features of the bootcamp.
Several times an issue has arisen back at the office while I have been at the bootcamp and I have been able to find expert help.

As soon as I have more confirmed information I will publish it so keep watching your favourite VMS news website
http://www.openvms.org

Dear Folks,

Thank you for all the great notes

Once we have a 2008 Boot Camp web site I will make sure to post it here.

We do already have a few folks registered for this year, but there is no public information. But it is solid.

Warm Regards,
sue
Randy Johnson_6
Advisor

Thank you everyone for the great responses. Now I have to convince my management that one of these, if not both, would be very beneficial...

Randy,