108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup control-t

SOLVED
Go to solution
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Backup control-t

I'm taking an image backup of a disk on 7.3.

I do a control t and it says
Last file scanned: $45$dka101:[]a.b

I do a dir to find a.b on the disk and find it in [w.x.y.z].

Why is control-t displaying something different ?

Wim
Wim
5 REPLIES 5
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Would [w.x.y.z]a.b and a.b be files or directories located in a system root of an OpenVMS system disk, and would these be two paths to the same file or directory, and would an OpenVMS system disk be the target of this unspecified BACKUP /IMAGE command?

If so, this is how the display interacts with the backlinks for files with aliases as is common on an OpenVMS system disk. It's also possible to see analogous aliases producing similar output on non-system disks, but that's less commonly seen.

If not, well, then you know the drill. Please post or attach output containing DIRECTORY /FULL of the file(s) and of the mumble.DIR directories containing the files, and please run an ANALYZE /DISK /REPAIR pass to check for corruptions. Also check [SYSLOST] here, as the file a.b reported might not be the file a.b found. Also please post the BACKUP command that was used.

And as is the usual mantra appended to most reports here (and ignored yet more often than appended, but I digress), please ECO to current on OpenVMS VAX, or please upgrade to V7.3-2 or to current and ECO on OpenVMS Alpha.

GuentherF
Trusted Contributor

Wim,

how do you know these a.b files are the same? Could []a.b be truely a file not entered into a directory and [w.x.y.z]a.b a different file?

Did you run ANALYZE/DISK/REPAIR and check for a.b in [SYSLOST]?

Is this volume set to ODS-5 structure?

/Guenther
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Wim,
Could be bad backlinks. Check the disk with DFU.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Shriniketan Bhagwat
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

This looks like back link issue. Do you see the below error during BACKUP operation?
%BACKUP-I-BTCROUT, routine ODS-5 RMS SYNTAX ERROR
Is it the ODS-5 disk?
Check below in the file header of the file a.b. Ex: dump/header/block=c:0 a.b

Does the file name field in the identification area of the file header is a.b?

Does file's back link match with DID(Directory ID of a.b├в s parent directory)?

-Ketan
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Anal/dis/rep gave "is not named .dir"
and "duplicate file name" on dir files. I guess that someone took copies of dir files in an invalid way. and thus the file was put under a null directory by backup.

Thx

Wim
Wim