Operating System - OpenVMS
1754021 Members
6904 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup from Windows to VMS-hosted tape drive?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeremy Begg
Trusted Contributor

Backup from Windows to VMS-hosted tape drive?

Hi,

A customer of mine has recently installed an HP Integrity rx2660 server with an HP G2 1/8 Autoloader attached (via U320 SCSI). It has VMS 8.3 and MultiNet 5.2.

Today they asked, "can we backup our Proliant servers to the new tape drive?"

There's no SAN or other form of shared storage, so what are the options, if any? The best I've been able to come up with is to suggest that they backup to a CIFS share on the rx2660. Is there an HP or 3rd-party product which allows Windows to backup to a VMS-hosted tape drive?

Thanks,
Jeremy Begg
3 REPLIES 3
Heinz W Genhart
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Jeremy

You can use ABS (archive backup System) on OpenVMS to save your Windows Files to a OpenVMS Tape Drive. ABS has a Windows and a Unix Client.

Regards

Geni
Guenther Froehlin
Valued Contributor

And there is hp Data Protector. It would run its main code on Windows but the backup output of the Windows system can be saved on a tape drive attached to an OpenVMS system.

/Guenther
Jeremy Begg
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Guenther,

Data Protector looks interesting but I think it's intended for sites which are much larger and more complex than this one. Furthermore, MultiNet is explicitly not supported so that rules it out for us.

I'm still waiting on a price from HP for ABS.

I've also asked I.S.E. about "EnterpriseBACKUP" and while it has a nice media manager it doesn't have the Windows connectivity we're looking for.