1752574 Members
4553 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup recovery from magnetic tape

Shelto Perry
Occasional Contributor

Backup recovery from magnetic tape

If a backup from disk to tape is being peformed and if fails near completion, can I still recover data from this tape later on?

Error message:

%BACKUP-E-FATALERR, fatal error on $2$MGA1:[]DKRPTS.BCK;
-SYSTEM-F-VOLINV, volume is not software enabled
%BACKUP-I-OPERSPEC
%BACKUP-I-OPERASSIST, operator assistance has been requested
12 REPLIES 12
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Shelto,

the data, which has been written to the tape prior to this error, should still be readable and therefore restoreable.

You could at least do a BACKUP/LIS $2$MGA1:DKRPTS.BCK/SAVE/REWIND to find out, which files has been saved.

Volker.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Shelto,

To begin with: WELCOME to the VMS forum!

Volker is right of course (as usual).

BUT!!

Maybe, just maybe, the tapedrive should be cleaned.

If in any way possible, repeat the save (to new tape).
Mark your failed tape for destruction, as soon as you have finished your repeated save.
It definitely is _NOT_ trustworthy!
Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Shelto,

I more or less concur with Jan and Volker, to the extent that IF the disk drive died immediately following the BACKUP, and all that I had was this not completed BACKUP, I would recommend a good, careful examination to see what we could recover. If (and that is a big IF) the file was already backed up before the tape error, it might be recoverable.

However, I would not rely on this tape as a backup copy unless it was an emergency. Get another backup as soon as possible, on a different tape (lest the new backup fail also, and also destroy the results of the last attempt).

I wholeheartedly endorse the comment about cleaning the drive, per the recommendations in the drive manual.

It is far easier to deal with these problems now, than it is to wait for later when they are far more serious.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Shelto Perry
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a million. I will try some of the suggestions.
GuentherF
Trusted Contributor

VOLINV means the tape could not be mounted foreign successfully. This is NOT an indication of something wrong with the tape media or tape drives read/write capability.

Given a device name of MGAnnn I assume a problem with connecting to the tape drive from OpenVMS.

To verify connectivity to the tape drive:

$ MOUNT/FOREIGN/NOASSIST MGAnnn
$ DUMP/BLOCK=COUNT:1 MGAnnn

/Guenther
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Re Guenther,

>>>
This is NOT an indication of something wrong with the tape media or tape drives read/write capability.
<<<

Sorry, but I have to disagree. (that is, _IF_ the original statement is reliable
>>>
... fails near completion ...
<<<

Then usually somehow the tape or the unit "lost position", which with SCSI is "Fatal Error".

Question for Shelto: Did you get a "$2$MGA1: Mounted" message (either from an explicit MOUNT command before starting the BACKUP, or from BACKUP itself from its implicit Mounting?) It should be in your LOG if you still have that.

If not, Guenther may be right, but that does not chime well with your "near completion".

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Shelto Perry
Occasional Contributor

Message failure came at the end of backup had about 50 more files to backup before failure. I'm not able to mount/for tape drive to do a dump, so I incline to believe that the tape is no good.
GuentherF
Trusted Contributor

I don't see why your tape is "no good". VOLINV indicates a conenction problem between the host (VMS drivers) and the tape controller.

Any error from the tape drive regarding media problems would be a DRVERR. Any error in the tape controller would be reported as a CTRLERR.

"I assume" that if this really happened at the end of a backup we lost FC connectivity to the tape drive/controller.

/Guenther
Shriniketan Bhagwat
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

There are several factors causing SYSTEM-F-VOLINV error. It could be any one of the below.

1) The tape is already mounted by another process.
2) The tape is not loaded in the drive
4) The drive is broken
5) A scsi (if is it a scsi device) address conflicts with drive's one.
6) The scsi controller is broken
7) The scsi controller conflicts with other peripherals.

Regards,
Ketan