4792 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup

Bona_1
Frequent Advisor

Backup

Hello Y'all,
I am running OVMS 7.3, on an ES40. I have an MSL 5026 connected to the server. I am able to see the tape library from the OS without much ado, but I seem to be getting my backup commands all wrong. Can anyone be so kind as to give me a tried and tested procedure to run a normal backup

thanks
Bona
5 REPLIES 5
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

what sort of backup scheme did you have in mind ? Full,incremental,differential backups or combination thereof? A basic full backup looks like

$ BACKUP/IMAGE disk: tape:savesetname.BCK/SAVE/BLOCK=65000/MEDIA=COMP/LABEL=tapelabel

Sorry to disturb you Ian, but which of these parameters are commands, and which are variables (variables = tape device, etc)
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

The items in lowercase are values that would be specific to your situation. Which 'disk' drive are you backing up to which 'tape' drive and what should the 'saveset' name be.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

without knowing more about what you itend to backup its difficult to give commands. I assume you have looked at the system manager guide on backup.

Bona,
Sorry, there is no such thing as a "normal" backup.

The key to a successful backup policy is to start with the question "how am I going to RESTORE?" Then work backwards to figure out what you need to save.

Make sure you think about the nature of your data - how much of it really changes and when (and how long) is it in a known, stable state which can be restored correctly?

Without planning and forethought, you can spend much money and time generating stacks of tapes that turn out to be worthless when you really need them.
A crucible of informative mistakes