New Discussion юеВ

Bad performance Openvms

SOLVED
Go to solution
geir_2
Super Advisor

Bad performance Openvms

Hi,

The system performance is decreasing the last month.

The show process command list all process on the system with belonging state and priority.
Is there some special state or columns that i must be aware on? Other suggestions?

The system have one CPU, no NFS.

Rgds Geir
21 REPLIES 21
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Re: Bad performance Openvms

Geir,

Many things can cause performance problems that appear to steadily get worse. The problems can range from poorly designed applications to steadily worsening hardware problems.

The SHOW SYSTEM command will show you the process states and the priorities, but that will not necessarily lead you to a result. That report is based upon the exact instant in time that the command is processed. MONITOR PROCESS/TOPCPU would be more helpful in identifying if there is a process consuming all available CPU time.

However, as I mentioned earlier, that is but one of the possible underlying causes of decreasing performance. There are many others.

Do you have some additonal information about the system workload?

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

What are you measuring to know the system performance is decreasing? User reports or actual figures of reduced application thoughput?

Do you have records of performance data (e.g from MONITOR) which cold be compared?

Geir,

1st question: has something changed, e.g.
number of users, new version of software (system or application), hardware, network,...?

2nd: has something gone bad, e.g. memory, disk?

Check Errorlog, SHOW MEMORY, MONITOR *.
SHOW SYSTEM -> processes with xxxO (outswapped, e.g. COMO)

Do you have hard data for the performance degradation or is this more a feeling/user complaint?

regards Kalle
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hello,

Everyting seems to be normal:

1) Normal traffic on the network according to cisco router
2) No swapped out process
3) 15 interactive users logged in on the system
4) According to monitor process/topcpu
no process have more than 20% CPU. Is there other commands that show the workload on system?
5) The performance is degraded, I have not installed new software, users and hardware.
6) The system is running DECnet IV, TCP/IP and LAT
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Geir,
Do your application running using RMS files? May be internal structure is degraded.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Geir,

have you somehow passed the threshold of starting to use paging?

SHOW MEM/FILE should indicate the amount used, and with
MONI PAGE
you can get an indication of paging activity.

Depending on the answers, totally different things need further investigating.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

what applications run on your system ? database, rms files ?

Anyway, you should run a performance collector tool (monitor is on any Vms system, Ecp...), and you should then be able to say you have a Cpu saturated problem, or an I/O problem (disk, bus, file saturated), or a memory problem, or a lock problem...
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

The first question is what is the source of "system performance is decreasing"? What application and how are you measure system performance?

You have a few system replies so far, in addtion has there been any network changes? You can check the Alpha NIC for errors with

$ mc lancp show dev /counter

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net