1753475 Members
4686 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Batch Queue information

Martin Brindle
Occasional Advisor

Batch Queue information

I'm getting an error when i run a job which uses a batch queue. The error is simply

Job SIMULATOR_EXTRACT (queue EC2_BATCH, entry 29) terminated with error status

How can I find out what the error status was?

Thanks,
5 REPLIES 5
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: Batch Queue information

either in the log file for the batch job or from accounting (if you have batch terminations recorded in accounting).

Thanks for the reponse. However, could you elaborate on where or how exactly I would check accounting and how I would enable it? I'm really too much of a noob on OpenVMS.

Thanks,
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

$ sh acc
will show if accounting is enabled
$ set acc/ena
will enable it

Then, trigger the error message, then
$ acc/fu/since/user=xxx/out=a.tmp

will put the required information in the file a.tmp
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

$ SHOW ACCOUNTING
look for
BATCH batch job termination

If it is present then the ACCOUNTING command will display information. Various qualifiers can be used to be more selective in the information displayed.

e.g
ACCOUNT/QUEUE=EC2_BATCH/SINC=datetime/BEFORE=datetime

/BRIEF will show one line per record. /FULL will show one screenfull per record.

see HELP ACCOUNTING for a description of the qualifiers.

Finding the batch job log file would be a good idea.

I'd go for the log file first.

The exit status may or may not be useful in resolving the error.

You'll certainly find this single final process exit status value in the ACCOUNTNG.DAT accounting data and over in the security auditing batch process logout data.

In most cases, the full details are (only) over in the batch log file -- there's almost always a sequence of errors leading up to the failure. The exit status might well be a generic status -- when you see a COPY command fail, for instance, you see a series of messages:

$ copy xyz.pdq abc.def
%COPY-E-OPENIN, error opening XYZ.PDQ; as in
put
-RMS-E-FNF, file not found
$

providing details. The batch log file will generally be where the sequence of messages is written.

What gets written to accounting is the final process exit status, which can be well along within the usual wad of errors emitted when some processing goes off the rails and into the weeds.

DCL commands such as SHOW ENTRY and SHOW QUEUE/ALL/FULL and other such command can be used to spot the name of the batch logfile, and where it is written.