Operating System - OpenVMS
1752806 Members
6156 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Bizarro crash... any help appreciated...

Brian  Schenkenberger
Frequent Advisor

Bizarro crash... any help appreciated...

bugcheck on 'alloc' in SWIS MTPR

9 REPLIES 9
Brian  Schenkenberger
Frequent Advisor

Where did my attachment go?
Brian  Schenkenberger
Frequent Advisor

Is it any wonder that nobody uses this forum? I tried a cut and paste of the CLUE CRASH and it tells me I need to limit it to 20,000 characters or less. According to $ SEARCH/STAT PAL.LOG "", the file is only 9127. HP can't even count!
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Where did my attachment go?

>I tried a cut and paste of the CLUE CRASH and it tells me I need to limit it to 20,000 characters or less.

What suffix did you give your attachment?  Try .txt or .log?

You can go back and edit your original post to add/remove attachments.

Perhaps that log when converted to HTML was more than 20 K?

Brian  Schenkenberger
Frequent Advisor

The file was plain text from the SET LOG of SDA.  The file was called PAL.LOG.  The file was >10K bytes.

Perhaps, I should have called it .DOC knowning HP's propensities to suck off everything Micro$oft.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>The file was called PAL.LOG.

Then use pal.txt

>I should have called it .DOC

No, unless it it is really a MS word file.

Hoff
Honored Contributor

>No, unless it it is really a MS word file.

File type dependencies are a problems lurking within this forum, then?  The file extension COM, for instance, has a completely different meaning in this particular OpenVMS community than it does in the Microsoft world.   And DOC is also used on VMS, but it's variously not a Microsoft Office file.  Even the lowly TXT and LOG have their issues, given the file format implementation differences involved.

Brian: Next time, use zip.  The forum software hasn't botched that (yet), and you can "-V" it to protect the VMS attributes against this forum software and against its unfortunately assumptions.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>File type dependencies are a problems lurking within this forum, then?

Only specific extensions are allowed, unless you request them.

If you want others to be able to see your attachments, you need to make browsers happy as possible. :-)

Brian  Schenkenberger
Frequent Advisor

If there are "extension" restrictions, then these should be made know to the users/contributor of this forum.

FWIW, it would not take my file when called PAL.LOG or PAL.TXT so, as Hoff has sadly pointed out, the only acceptable extension is .ZIP. 

1. Why force people here to have to download and decompress a simple bit of text?
  2. Why force people here to have to compress and then upload a simple bit of text?
  3. Knowing M$'s  tendency to execute anything that is contained within a decompressed file, why put those users at greater risk than they already are running WEENDOZE?

I only wanted to attach the file to, hopefully, maintain some of the SDA output formatting.  It's difficult to read such info when it's formatted content is squished into run-on sentence paragraph format.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>If there are "extension" restrictions, then these should be made know to the users/contributor of this forum.

Yes, that would be helpful.  Please make your request in this topic:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Community-Feedback-Suggestions/Extend-allowed-attachments/m-p/4805585

>it would not take my file when called PAL.LOG or PAL.TXT

I'll try those.  I can attach foo.txt or foo.TXT, provided they aren't empty.

I can't do .log or .LOG

>It's difficult to read such info when it's formatted content is squished into run-on sentence paragraph format.

Exactly.