108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Blank page in printer queue.

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Blank page in printer queue.

Hi Guys,
I discoverd VMS printer queue.
I've always used a my internal software to print, because I can use any printer type using a text printer driver.
On August, I read documentation inehrent Printer Symbiont Process and I download a example of C source, so I will convert my software into Print Symbiont.
I'm trying various VMS printer queue and all work nice but first time I print I receive always a blank page.
I've created a standard print queue SYS$PRINT with standard processor. Form is default.
I use this command:
$ PRINT/QUE=SYS$PRINT MYFILE.TXT /NOFEED
After first blank page, queue work correctly.
Where do I wrong?
Thank you
Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
2 REPLIES 2
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

First of all, look at the full queue properties.

SH QUE /FULL SYS$PRINT

You may need to suppress the Header and footer pages. Also I see a /NO_INITIAL_FF that is there to make sure that you are at the top of a page prior to printing in the old continuous feed line-printer days.

INIT/QUE/NOHEAD/NOTRAIL/NO_INIT ....etc.

lOOK in HELP under INIT/QUE.

It could also be that if you printer queue is expecting Fortran carriage controls, you could be unintentionally sending a form feed to the print queue without knowing it, or something similar.

VMS SAN mechanic
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Thank Mike,
I can modify printer queue on Open VMS V7.2 but on V6.2 there is not /NO_INITAL qualifier.
Is it possible avoid initial FF using VMS V6.2 (I have some customer with this old OS version) ?

Cheers
Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti