108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Boot from V7.3-1 CD does not show EVA Fiber Channel devices

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter Katz
Occasional Advisor

Boot from V7.3-1 CD does not show EVA Fiber Channel devices

I'm trying to install a new version of VMS 7.3-1 on an EVA 3000. Booting from CD only shows the SCSI devices but not the FC disks. The FC disks are all fine and good when I boot normal from a SCSI disk and run through a complete regular startup. I assume that the FC drivers are not being started when the CD boots. How do I load the FC drivers so I can see the FC disks ? I tried SYSMAN IO AUTO and nothing changed. Thanks, peter
4 REPLIES 4
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

Re: Boot from V7.3-1 CD does not show EVA Fiber Channel devices

Insufficient Data...

What Processor type are you dealing with?

Different Models deal with FC storage differently. Have you run wwidmgr, if it's an older CPU, to make it aware of your FC disks?
q
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor
Solution

What host bust adapator are you using? The 2 GB FCA2684 requires the FIBRE_SCSI TIMA kit on 7.3-x so I'll wager that you have a varient of of this controller to along with the nifty new EVA 3000.

Do you have access to an 8.2 boot CD? If so I'd do my clean install of 7.3-1 on a scratch scsi disk, load ECOs, then boot from the 8.2 kit and backup/image the new system disk.

If you want to move your current system disk, again boot from the 8.2 CD and use backup/image.

You will need to use wwidmgr to configure the new fibre channel disk as a boot device.

You could do a minimal boot at the console and use backup/image to move your system disk. Should be fine doesn't mean will be fine, but you could probably do this. Of course you'll still need to come up with boot media to restore your system disk backups if the need ever arises.

You also install the older 1gb hba, although I wouldn't recommend this option.

With all that, why not take this opportunity to install 8.2 or 7.3-2? VMS 7.3-1 is out of support, 7.3-2 will go into extended support if you're not ready to jump to 8.2 yet.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You don't need to configure devices with WWIDMGR unless you intend to setup boot or dump paths. The operating system does its own scan to find the devices, even if booted from CD.

-

I agree with Andy. Most likely the CD and its drivers are too old.
Peter Katz
Occasional Advisor

The system is a new 1ghz DS25. The problem is resolved by using a 8.2 CD. We need to use VMS 7.3-1 for now and I understand the issues around that older version. I assumed the 7.3-1 CD would have the drivers pre-installed but it obviously does not. Thanks to all who answered. Peter