1753486 Members
4136 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Booting VMS from a different root

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I'm a bad reader. You said nothing else is local. Ignore my remarks.

Wim
Wim
Linda Chumbley

WOW! Thanks for all the replies! I didn't think there was that much VMS knowledge still out there...or that anyone would admit to! ;-)

The non-clusterable application is a radiology app. that runs on a DSM (Mumps) database. Yes, I know that mumps is clusterable, but for whatever reason the vendor, IDX, did not write it to make use of DSM's clustering capability, so I'm kinda stuck.

Licensing won't be a problem...besides, when I boot into the other node's root, that node would "become" that node, including inheriting the nodename, IP & DECnet address, etc.

I addressed the page/swap file issue by installing additional page/swap files on a non-local disk and included some code in SYPAGSWPFILES.COM so the system won't hang trying to mount a local disk that doesn't exist.

SYSUAF, queue files, and all other files I can think of are on shared disks. This used to a 4-node cluster...it's slowly being retired.

This will all be tested, hopefully soon...before I really need it.

Linda
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Linda,

We also have mumps. You can indeed run it on both nodes simultaniously but the application must be able to handle it.

You can run it on 1 node of the cluster too. And switch it to the other in case of a disaster. But even then, your application might have problems if they are not prepared.

So, your solution is the best one (without modif of the application).

Btw : did you know that you need after image journal (and before ij) in Mumps if you don't want to lose data during a crash ? We discovered that the hard way.

Wim
Wim