HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
Operating System - OpenVMS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booting problem in VAX VMS system V5.5-2

Lucky Regent
Frequent Advisor

Booting problem in VAX VMS system V5.5-2

>>> boot DKA0
following errors
1>DECdtm files not found
2>ACP enter function failed
%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 25-FEB-2009 09:21:06.98 %%%%%%%%%%%
Message from user QUEUE_MANAGE on DNATKS
%QMAN-E-OPENERR, error writing DNATKS$DKB0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][SYSEXE]SYS$QUEUE_MANAGER.QMAN$JOURNAL;1

%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 25-FEB-2009 09:21:06.98 %%%%%%%%%%%
-RMS-E-FEX, file already exists, not superseded

%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 25-FEB-2009 09:21:06.99 %%%%%%%%%%%
-SYSTEM-W-DUPFILENAME, duplicate file name

%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 25-FEB-2009 09:21:07.36 %%%%%%%%%%%
%QMAN-E-OPENERR, error opening DNATKS$DKB0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][SYSEXE]SYS$QUEUE_MANAGER.QMAN$JOURNAL;1

3-4 days before it was woring fine.. i do power off and on several times and it starts given these errors...

one more thing..my bootable device DKA0 is going offline and then mount process start and it mounted. it goes again offline.. this is also happening now oftenly.

Please help me with this..

thanks
yogesh
38 REPLIES
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Re: Booting problem in VAX VMS system V5.5-2

yogesh,

Welcome to the VMS forums.

Sorry to say so, but I really hope you have a good, recent backup, because it looks very much like your system drive went into retirement. (certainly it has the age for it).

Is it really DKA0? Your errors seem to indicate DKB0 as system drive.

It is time to move in a replacement drive, do a standalone boot, and restore your backup.

Good luck!

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Lucky Regent
Frequent Advisor

Thanku for ur reply..

Yes..it is DKA0...
actually i am new in it.. so no more knowledge abt all these stuff like how to install...how to take back ups..and restores.. system is very old...
please help me with these..

Can there be any other possibility of this failure..because it was running ok this week too...

DKA0 is going offline... r u answering for this behaviour of device or looking at others data too..

looking for ur kind response..
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

could you do a

$ sh dev d

and post the output

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

If you have recently inherited this system then you should seek some structured training from local resources. OpenVMS VAX is not a system which can be simply learned from asking a few specific questions, and the version you are running is very old.

I guess there is a hardware problem with this system. Can you supply the results of the following command.

SHOW DEVICE DK/FULL

here is the output of
$show dev d
NCPNAME$DKA0 mounted 0 userdisk0 64824(free blocks) 135(trans cnt) 1(mnt)

ncpname$DKA100 mounted 0 userdisk1 290655(free blocks) 1(trans cnt) 1(mnt)

note 0--error cnt
userdisk0 and 1 are volume label

Lucky Regent
Frequent Advisor

Thanku for ur responses..
here is the output of
$ show dev dk/full

Disk NCPNAME$DKA0:, device type generic SCSI disk, is online, mounted, file oriented device, shareable, error logging enable.
error count.........0
owner process......." "
owner process ID....00000000
reference count.....21
total blocks........2050860
total cylinders.....3089
volume lable........"USERDISK0"
cluster size........3
free blocks.........64824
extent quantity.....5
mount status .......system
extent cache size...64
file id cache size..64
quota cache size....0
operation completed....4250
owner UIC..............[1,1]
dev port ..S:RWED,O:RWED,G:RWED,W:RWED
default buffer size.....512
sectors per track.......83
track per cylinder......8
relative volume number..0
transaction count.......135
max file allowed........256397
mount count.............1
Cache name....."_ncpname$DKA0:XQPCACHE"
max block in extent cache.....6482
blocks currently in extent cache...249
max buffer in FCP cache............1911

Volume status:subject to mount verification, file high water making, write through caching enable.
===========================================
===========================================
Disk NCPNAME$DKA1:, device type generic SCSI disk, is online, mounted, file oriented device, shareable, error logging enable.
error count.........0
owner process......." "
owner process ID....00000000
reference count.....1
total blocks........2050860
total cylinders.....3089
volume lable........"USERDISK1"
cluster size........3
free blocks.........290655
extent quantity.....5
mount status .......system
extent cache size...64
file id cache size..64
quota cache size....0
operation completed....1108
owner UIC..............[SYSTEM]
dev port ..S:RWED,O:RWED,G:RWED,W:RWED
default buffer size.....512
sectors per track.......83
track per cylinder......8
relative volume number..0
transaction count.......1
max file allowed........256397
mount count.............1
Cache name....."_ncpname$DKA0:XQPCACHE"
max block in extent cache.....29065
blocks currently in extent cache...0
max buffer in FCP cache............1911

Volume status:subject to mount verification, write through caching enable.
Lucky Regent
Frequent Advisor

TO:-IAN MILLER
yes , i know this is not that simple.. but here is no body who can help so.. i was searching net for this and came to know about this IT source center..

This is very urgent for me.. if i cound not make it bootable.. may be i will lost my JOB.. so please help me with this.. As you all know..its recession time..

No body has expertise of this system.. and there is no back up for long time.. tape drives is not working properly..

please instruct me ..what i do.. i have to make it up to save my JOB..even i do not have much stuff and knowledge of these systems..and now i do not have much time for them... my priority goes to make the system up..

As you will say.. i will do that.. so please if you give ant suggestion or solution , also wirte the adverse effect of that solution.. bcoz once it goes down.. i can not do anything..like..i can not istall anything and can not take back up and restore any thing...

so plz gives ur opinion...
Its friday today.. so i am going home for 2 days... means .. i will reply ur responses by monday.. do not think i am not replying ur queries till then///

i hope i will get ur responses for this...
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Is the QueueManager running or not ?

$ SHOW QUEUE/MANAGER/FULL

Hakan
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

i think you ought to call in hp or a consultant to help you with this. you say you have little knowledge of the operating system, the disk drives are possibly failing, the tape drives don't work and you need it to be backed up and boot cleanly ! this is too much to attempt to cover off by using this forum.

Lucky Regent
Frequent Advisor

Thanks ..

If i do
$show queue
it response that queue manager is not running...
so i can say that queue manager is not running...
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

I agree with Mark.

We don't know if the QueueManager is the only thing failing......
Your system needs a deeper investigation.

Hakan
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Please stop risking additional data losses through power-cycling your box and rebooting your box. That's not a fix. Stop delaying the repairs here, too. In aggregate, that's how you go from a potentially reparable situation to irreparable data loss.

If you're not in a position to call in help, then the first thing to do (and before more data is scrubbed off your disk) is to scrounge up your installation media (preferably CD, alternate system disk, or less desirably a bootable tape standalone kit) to use standalone BACKUP to get as much of your data off your disk here as you can manage.

Right now.

Do not defer hardware fixes. Do not repeat or reboot or power-cycle configurations believed to have failing or questionable hardware or failing disks. That sequence is going to massively increase the I/O load on what may be a questionable disk, and that tends to push a partial hardware failure over into full failure, or a partial volume corruption over into a far more serious disk corruption.

You may or may not be able to get the application data off this disk; the disk may or may not be readable, and may or may not return consistent data. But a full and complete and current archive of the data is always a priority when a disk starts throwing errors. (Particularly when the storage configuration doesn't have RAID coverage, but then RAID too isn't an archival strategy.)

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC
Colin Butcher
Esteemed Contributor

Hello,

With a system this old there could be a lot of different things that are wrong. Trying things for yourself and power-cycling the system is a very high risk strategy, especially if you do not have a recent good backup. Right now you are in serious danger of losing this system completely, without a backup. If the system is important, make sure that the people who use it understand that it may fail at any moment. If that is a big problem for the business you work for, then they need understand the risk they are taking.

I recommend that you seek help quickly. When someone comes to help you, make sure that they have enough experience and that they spend enough time with you to teach you about the system and help you understand more about it. If you manage to get the system running again, I recommend that you consider changes (such as to the disc subsystem and backup processes) to minimise the risk of permanent data loss if the system fails.

Good luck. Colin (http://www.xdelta.co.uk).
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem (Occam's razor).
RBrown_1
Trusted Contributor

I don't understand why SHOW DEV D just shows two disks on DKA, while the messages you posted originally refer DKB0 and with a different node name at that. Is this part of a cluster?

Please post the results of

$ SHOW LOGICAL SYS$SYSDEVICE
$ SHOW LOGICAL SYS$SYSROOT
$ SHOW CLUSTER
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

yogesh hooda,

How are you retyping the output into ITRC? If possible, get a PC running a terminal emulator connected to the serial console so you can capture the output and cut/paste.

There are several discrepancies in the output that need explanation:

The OPCOM messages are complaining about a device DNATKS$DKB0:, yet the output of show device/dk is showing only NCPNAME$DKA devices. So that is a different node name DNATKS vs. the name NCPNAME that the current system is reporting.

Another oddity is the disk label "USERDISK1" for a bootable system disk. Labels can be set to arbitrary names, but a system disk normally would not have USERDISK in the label.

Either the most recent version of some of your startup files have been deleted, or they have been modified, leaving a version that was referencing DKB instead of DKA, or the device DNATKS$DKB0: was being MSCP served by a cluster member that is no longer visible. (That's why RBrown asked for output of show cluster).

Did you always boot from DKA before?

What does

$ show error

display?

This will only show new errors since the system was booted, and we have no guarantee that any SYS$ERRORLOG:ERRLOG.SYS file is even the same one as when the problem was first discovered, but can you also copy/paste the output of

$ directory/size=all/date SYS$ERRORLOG:ERRLOG.SYS

When you say "DKA0" is going offline and then mount process start and it mounted"

are you referring to a messages like

Mount verification is in progress.
Mount verification has completed for device NCPNAME$DKA0:

I would have expected to see a non-zero error count for DKA0 if that was the case, but the show dev dk/full output you showed us shows 0 errors for both DK devices, however, the operation counts are so small (4250 for DKA0, and 1108 for DKA1) that this output was probably from a "freshly booted" system.

A drive going into mount verification can be a sign of a failing disk. You really do need to determine the cause and get things fixed. As others have said, make sure you get a backup if you can.

What were the circumstances when the system failed. Was it running at the time, or was it shut down, and when it rebooted, things were not working like they did before? That can be a symptom of the startup files being changed while the system was up, and those changes could have happened a long time ago if your system does not normally get rebooted.

"No body has expertise of this system.. and there is no back up for long time.. tape drives is not working properly"

There may be no solution to your problem. If it was "just" a system disk with little else, then reinstalling the operating system and the applications may be the only option. There are companies that specialize in recovery of data off broken drives, but this will not be complete, and it is very expensive.

Jon
it depends
Stanley F Quayle
Valued Contributor

India has some people with VMS experience. I'm not sure how far you are from the HP engineering centers, but it's quite possibly that expert help is very near by.

Of course, if you're working for HP, that would be a different problem.

http://www.stanq.com/charon-vax.html
comarow
Trusted Contributor

Do you have a support contract with Digital?
Do you know where the backup of your system is?
If you have a support contract, they can talk you through it.

There is an old book by Terry Shannon,
Introduction to VMS, and it would almost be
up to date with your version of VMS. Grab
a used copy on Amazon.

There really is no excuse not to have a backup of the system disk. Chances are the person you inherited the system from has it somewhere.

For your que manager, you might have to
start/que/manager/NEW and it will create a new file, but you will lose all your queues.

Once again, they would be restored from a backup.

This isn't the place for a novice to solve a reasonably complicated problem. That may sound harsh, but that's why people have support.

Where are you? Feel free to email me and maybe I can talk you through it if you don't have a contract. Or, you can get a by incident problem with HP or some of the people on this list provide consulting.

But my main goal for you is find the backup of that disk.

Good luck.
Lucky Regent
Frequent Advisor

Look here is my data..that i have pick from previous post...
%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 4-MAY-2009 09:21:06.98 %%%%%%%%%%%
Message from user QUEUE_MANAGE on JAGUAR
%QMAN-E-OPENERR, error writing JAGUAR$DKA0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][SYSEXE]SYS$QUEUE_MANAGER.QMAN$JOURNAL;1

%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 4-MAY-2009 09:21:06.98 %%%%%%%%%%%

%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 4-MAY-2009 09:21:06.99 %%%%%%%%%%%

%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 4-MAY-2009 09:21:07.36 %%%%%%%%%%%
%QMAN-E-OPENERR, error opening JAGUAR$DKA0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][SYSEXE]SYS$QUEUE_MANAGER.QMAN$JOURNAL;1

So there is no device like DKB0:
Here JAGUAR is our NCPNAME.

We do not have any back-up of DKA0:
we have a STAYBACKKIT.
Error count increases as no of times it goes offline and again mounted.
I am from DELHI in INDIA... So does anybody know somebody who can help me with this..please provide me his contact or any other usefull information through which i can approach him...
ANy HP guy or anybody else...
can anybody tell me how can i see the disk space of DKA0: device... any command for this...
Somebody told me that there should be some space problem thats why device DKA0: going offline and QUEUE_MANAGER is not running..
Thanks for ur responses.. i will reply of ur msges very soon ....
my system is not connected to any printer.. so i have to take all these stuff manually.. so it takes time...

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

yogesh,

now this make some more sense. Note that in your first post, the nodename was DNATKS and the device name was DNATKS$DKB0: ! These can't be typing errors, can't they ?!

The problem with the QUEUE_MANAGER is the following: something has gone wrong or someone has incorreclty restored some files. The QUEUE_MANAGER is currently using a higher version of JAGUAR$DKA0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][SYSEXE]SYS$QUEUE_MANAGER.QMAN$JOURNAL

When it tries to rename the file back to ;1 after a checkpoint operation, there is already a file with that name and version, so the rename fails with 'SYSTEM-W-DUPFILENAME, duplicate file name'. You would just need to check for JAGUAR$DKA0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][SYSEXE]SYS$QUEUE_MANAGER.QMAN$JOURNAL;*. If there are 2 versions, you may want to delete ;1. This should allow the QUEUE_MANAGER to correctly start. You may also want to try to find out, what has been done to the system to get it into this state !

If you see mount-verifications on DKA0: and the error count increases, chances are that there is some HARDWARE problem with the disk, SCSI bus or SCSI adapter. This needs to be analyzed and fixed first.

You can see details, including the free space on the disk, with:

$ SHOW DEV/FULL DKA0:

Volker.

Lucky Regent
Frequent Advisor

Thanku Very much Volker:--

Now i am feeling a bit better with ur reply ... If there is some problem with queue manager only.. and can be solved by deleting one file...

Can you plz tell me the procedure to get this file and how can i delete this file..

How can i enter into a directory.. where i will find this file..

Please tell me whole sequence of doing this..
bcoz if i will do sth wrong there would be no chance to recover from that..

bcoz i can not take image backup.. or not easy to install anything as we do not have all this kind of stuff.. or no expertise///
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

yogesh,

sorry, but I cannot take responsibily for your system by telling you commands to change anything, which could further damage your system. I will help you DIAGNOSING the problem.

Try $ DIR SYS$SYSTEM:SYS$QUEUE_MANAGER.QMAN$JOURNAL and report which files are being listed. Then we can confirm, that my analysis regarding the queue manager problem is correct.

Note that the mount-verification errors on DKA0: have NOTHING to do with the queue-manager not starting and should be fixed FIRST ! This requires errorlog analysis to determine the problem and - most likely - some hardware replacements - which I cannot help you with.

Again, consider to get local help from someone with - at least some - OpenVMS experience.

Volker.
Lucky Regent
Frequent Advisor

@Volker
I did
$DIR

there is no such file in the output..

now what should i do...

Some more outputs:-
$show logical sys$sysdevice
"sys$sysdevice"="jaguar$dka0:"(LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)
=====================================
$show logical sys$sysroot
"sys$sysroot"="jaguar$dka0:[sys0]"(LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)
="sys$common"
1 "sys$common"= "jaguar$dka0:[sys0:sys$common]"(LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)
===================================
$show cluster
view of cluster from system ID 58418 node:jaguar 11-may-2009 12:44:30

====================================
system------------------members
---------------------------------
node----software=======status
------------------------------
jaguar..VMS V5.5======blank
------------------------------

======================================
$show error