New Discussion юеВ

Bugcheck in STACONFIG on REBOOT

SOLVED
Go to solution
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Bugcheck in STACONFIG on REBOOT

Hi there,

I posted this (SRM?) problem on several forums but never got an answer....
System: Digital Personal Workstation (PWS500au), additional SCSI card.
I added a KFPSA (DSSI node-id 00) to connect an old HSZ10 (DSSI node-id 04). All set up nicely; for VMS all is Ok, but:
1. SRM shows the device in SHOW CONFIG but not in SHOW DEVICE - and so I am not able to boot from any disk below it.
2. If I reboot the system, STACONFIG will crash in ASTDEL, I really have to switch the machine off and on to get it running again!
3. Solution? BOOT_RESET = TRUE. This allows REBOOT but the second SCSI is 'lost' - even within VMS. Since my CD is connected to this controller, I cannot boot from CD....
4. SET HOST -DUP to acces HSZ20 is not possible. Since SHOW DEVICE doesn't find it, I have no address, and SRM says: "Not Implemented".

I would like to have the machine boor from the DSSI-node (must be possible) to create a (small-system) cluster - how to get it done? Or can't I use KFPSA in a workstation
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
6 REPLIES 6
Gary Sachs
Advisor

Re: Bugcheck in STACONFIG on REBOOT

is all the firmware up to date?

I'm assuming you mean an HSD10, not HSZ10?

Did SET HOST -DUP work before with the HSZ20?

Try setting the DSSI node-id to 7 on the KFPSA.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Oops, Typo's: It;s HSD10 for sure.

Firmware on Alpha is up-to-date (can't get any higher).
I never tried SET HOST -DUP before. Since I will have to get the card out to switch Id to 7, I'll try it.

Will keep you informed.
Willem Grooters
Gary Sachs
Advisor

I'm not sure that the SET HOST -DUP will work connecting to HSZ20. But, I wanted to ask in case... you knwo stranger things have worked.
You may need to direct connect to the console port or use the SWCC software.

Let me know.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Just checked:
* DSSI-node-ID was 7, set this to 0.
* KFPSA in on bus 01, slot 9.
* SHO CONFIG finds KFPSA.
* SHO DEV does NOT find KFPSA
* SET HOST -DUP says "Not implemented"

I think I need extra software to be loaded in SRM? For VMS, I had to load FYDRIVER - presumably I need this for SRM as well.
Willem Grooters
Gary Sachs
Advisor
Solution

From what I can tell, the KFPSA is not supported on a PWS500. Also, you could try and move the card before the SCSI card.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

I already had the impression that a PWS SRM doesn't support KPFSA. Is there a way to get around it so I can boot from there, or am I stuck to the local disk or netwerk boot (causing it to be a sattelite)?

Anyway, I swapped the second SCSI and KFPSA and that removed the bugcheck on reboot. Now I also see why this might have happened: VMS tells me the PIA0 device fails to initialize. Still, the second SCSI is lost.

So be it.

I'll live with no 'reboot'. but power-cycle will be required anyway and this is not the best practice; is there another way to init the second SCSI as if power was cycled? I have tried INIT but that doesn't help (even worse: when power has bee cycled and I issue this command in SRM before booting, the second scsi is lost as well....)

If there is no other way, I'll have stick to shutwdown - cycle power - start again.

Willem
Willem Grooters