1753918 Members
7173 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Building VMS Clusters on C7000 enclosures

daferreira
Occasional Contributor

Building VMS Clusters on C7000 enclosures

most of what i have read states that only 4 c7000 enclosures can make up a management domain, assume that this is not a limitation to the blades that can be included in a VMS cluster. I could build a VMS cluster out of 6 c7000 enclosures with 2 BL890s in each for a totsl of 12 servers in one cluster but this would require 2 "managemnet domains"
3 REPLIES 3
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Once you're done working with the blade user interfaces and have the LANs configured and connected, OpenVMS and OpenVMS clustering doesn't know about any all that stuff; connect the LANs together, configure OpenVMS as normal, and off you go.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Be sure that you understand the difference between OA Management Domains, VC Domains and VC Enterprise Domains.

OA Management Domains allow you to log in to any OA, and access the any iLO or interconnect module within the domain.

VC Domains allow you to run a single VC Manager, controlling the VC configuration and profiles for all of the VC modules in the domain.

From the point of view of Clustering, you can cluster as many blades/nodes as you have total bays in all of your enclosures, i.e. 4 enclosures = 32 bays = 32 clustered nodes. You just cluster over the network where necessary.

The "Management Domain" does not really give you anything in the clustering sense. It allows browser access to the iLO's of all the blades, and IC Modules in the domain from a single OA login. (???)

Enclosures are "linked" using the Enclosure Link ports which are located between the OA's. Links are at 10/100/1000 Mb/s, and HP only "supports" a maximum of 4.

If the management domain is important to you, then either look into VC Enterprise Domain Manager, or keep your cluster in a smaller number of enclosures.

The VC Enterprise Domain manager allows the administration of configurations and profiles across multiple VC Domains. This is quite useful from the DR perspective. VC Domains are acheived by "stacking" individual modules (normally using CX4, 10Gb/s cables).

I run a cluster across two enclosures (2 nodes in each) and add in a ds10 rackmount Alpha as well. I do not use any stacking cables and external systems are clustered in using the main network.

HTH

Dave.
daferreira
Occasional Contributor

THX will look into these 3 flavors of domain management , we are considering 4 enclosures with 8 BL890s but may need anothe server or 2
of lesser power