108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Building the TOMCAT examples

SOLVED
Go to solution
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Building the TOMCAT examples

VMS 7.3-2 + all patches as to date, Apache 1.3-1, TOMCAT 2.1, JAVA 1.4.2-P2, on a PWS 600au, 256 Mb.

I tried to build the Tomcat examples following the documentation (@APACHE$CONFIG ANT ... etc) but while compiling javadoc, the system froze. ^T was the only thing I could do, it showed exe JAVA$JAVA using NO CPU, no change in used memory and adding 1 to IO each ^T. ^C and ^Y did not react, and after some time, telnet sessions timed out, new sessions could not be started (nor telnet, nor DECWindows at the console). Almost no disk activity.
Has anyone had the same experience?
What could be the problem?
(Next time I will >>>crash the system on reset, forgot that yesterday....)

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
8 REPLIES 8
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

Why the old versions? Isn't tomcat currently at version 4 or 5?

Have you looked at issues.apache.org/bugzilla
q
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Counting by VMS Engineering ;-) as on the VMS website: Tomcat for VMS is 2.1, based on 4.1.24 (by heart) as counted by ASF. So not that old...
Willem Grooters
Colin Butcher
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

My guess is that you've run out of memory. Process quotas need to be HUGE for Java. PGFLQUO determines how much virtual memory is available for the Java application (eg: the Tomcat server). Regrettably it takes no account of working set quotas, so you also need to set WSDEF/QUO/EXT appropriately otherwise it will simply page itself to death trying to fit a large virtual address space into a small working set.

I have a customer where the Tomcat server process consumes 1.5Gbytes physical memory. On my test cluster it uses about 500Mbytes without doing anything very much.

CSWS_JAVA V2.1 (aka TOMCAT for OpenVMS) is based on TOMCAT V4.1.24 - see http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/ips/apache/csws_java.html

I believe that there's an implementation of TOMCAT V5.x in the pipeline.

Cheers, Colin.

A thought - you might find some of the slides from a recent User Group seminar useful: http://www.downloads.xdelta.co.uk/decus%20uk%202005/vms%20web%20server%2012jul2005%20issue%201%2012jul2005.pdf or start at http://www.hpug.xdelta.co.uk
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem (Occam's razor).
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Hey Colin! Good to meet you here! What took you so long...

I _know_ that JAVA takes rediculous amounts of memory. Therefore, with my box, I keep to the Classic VM, FastVM requires even more (at least double the resources of the Classic one) and I don't have that much...

All settings have been set according the recommendations long ago. I did run Netneans 3.6 on my machine, including compilation. Slow (it's the minimal configuration), but it will run.

ANT however seems to be quite another story. I can imagine that the system will fire threads to do sub-compilations (MMS takes a lot of resources as well, because of that) and that there is some problem with these. Java internals, quite likely.
But IF I'm running out of memory, I would like to know about it, eventually crashing my process (with a message, preferably) - instead of requiring a reboot (I mean: forced reset) of the whole system.

I had some problems with CSWB 1.7 as well combined with Tomcat 2.1 and Java 1.4.2P2 - see another thread. Hard to imagine, but I don't rule out a relation....
Willem Grooters
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

by running out of memory I think Colin means virtual memory i.e. pagefile space. If you pagefile is full then your system hangs.
You can monitor it using AvailabilityMgr or AMDS from another node or even a peecee.

If there is a problem in size of the pagefile, wouldn't I get an INSMEM error (Insuffiocient Memory)? Bad thing if a process just continues consuming memory and not taking in account it might fail because there is no more left (typical Unix behaviour? I'm not surprised - nor amused)

BTW: I have done an autogen VERY RECENTLY and my pagefile did not need adjustments.

Anyway, I'll try with an added pageefile. I'll add another disk online (BTW. can it be undone without rebooting the system?)

Willem
Willem Grooters
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

if your process quotas are larger than what can be supported by your current pagefile then you will run out of pagefile (and the system hangs) before you get an error.

You can add disks without rebooting and pagefiles too. You can remove pagefiles - they get marked for removal and actually removed when they are not inuse. If marked for removal then they won't be used for new allocations.

With a second pagefile, I was able to build the examples. This file will be removed, I created it pretty big to prevent hang again, but it seems I needed just a little bit more room.
Remnains the issue that Java needs that musch resources.
Willem Grooters