New Discussion юеВ

Re: C++ and TCL/TK

SOLVED
Go to solution
nipun_2
Regular Advisor

C++ and TCL/TK

Hello all,
I was considering installing certain C++ libraries on OpenVMS. Before considering that option I had the following questions

1) Are there any GUI based debuggers available (e.g GDB etc. ) which I could install on OPenVMS

2) I saw earlier in the freeware updates that there was gcc compiler available but is there a g++ compiler freely available and easy to install

3) Is TCL/TK available for openVMS http://www.tcl.tk/. If there is a documentation for installing it please let me know

Nipun
7 REPLIES 7
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

The VMS debugger has a GUI. See
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82final/4538/4538PRO.HTML

The hp C++ compiler is freely available to hobbyists.

nipun_2
Regular Advisor

Thanks Wim and Ian. I am currently looking into the C++ debugger installation. I would need a layered pack CD from HP or a site from where I can download.

Regarding TCL/TK I saw the site but couldn't figure how to go about with the installation. I will have to spend some more time with the website.

Regards,
Nipun
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

hp C++ V6.5 can be found at
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/C-CXX/openvms/cxx/

Hi Ian,
Is the link you sent a C++ compiler. If so that would be great. I checked in my OpenVMS system and I already have the debugger (gdb) because when I checked it yesterday with the command

$debug /keep

The GUI based debugger started.

Also how would I install the application (using VMSinstall or simply create a symbol to the application like gcc

Let me know your thoughts and comments on this.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor
Solution

The above site contains a file which should be downloaded to an OpenVMS Alpha system using binary ftp. Then run it. It will unpack resulting in a file ccxx065.a (or similar name). Then install this using VMSINSTAL.

The debugger started with DEBUG/KEEP is not gdb but the built in VMS Debugger. See the manual.

Thanks for your help Ian,
It worked perfectly. I am now all excited to do work on some C++ code!!!!!!