Operating System - OpenVMS
1753970 Members
7493 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CA Unicenter Job Management V3.0 (old DECScheduer) - backup of

gopalakrishnan t-k

CA Unicenter Job Management V3.0 (old DECScheduer) - backup of

How to do a clean backup of [nsched.data] from within a scheduler job?

When scheduler is running files dependency.dat, sched$sd_restrictions.dat, temp_parms.dat, vermont_creamery.log, vss.dat, 'node'.log, 'node'_remote_executor.log are open.

backup/ignore=interlock will not produce a reliable backup (or will it, if I ensure that this is the only job running)

Can I shut down scheduler, do the backup and start scheduler from within a running sceduler job if the job runs the backup in batch (i.e. the job is created with /mode=batch -not detached)?

5 REPLIES 5
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Does CONVERT/SHARE of the open files to a different directory give a coherent copy?

I wouldn't be too concerned about /IGNORE=INTERLOCK issues for log files. Nice to have backups of log files, but unlikely to be critical. It's the configuration files (.DAT?) that you need.
A crucible of informative mistakes
gopalakrishnan t-k

Thank you for the suggestion. (I entered 5 points for the answer but now it shows 0 - moderator please note)

backup/ignore=interlock and conver/share gives identical copies and both are usable.

The issue is how confident can I be that this either of these will work every time (on all the scheduler .DAT files) - matching the gauranteed integrity of OpenVMS backup?
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

What about starting a batch job from your schedular job. The batch job could stop or pause the scheduler and use backup or convert/share then start or resume the scheduler

You mean a SUBMIT command from the scheduler job rather than /mode=batch qualifier on the scheduler job? Sounds good (why didn't I think of this); will try and post here. Thanks!
Shriniketan Bhagwat
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

With /IGNORE=INTERLOCK there will not be much difference between the saveset copy of the file and the actual file in the disk.
If you are concerned about the integrity of the files in the saveset then better to shutdown the scheduler and perform backup. In this case offline backups are preferable.

Regards,
Ketan