108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CD image creation...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

CD image creation...

I'm developing some software on a VMS 7.3-1 system, and want to distribute it from CD.
Ok, CDRecord comes with this VMS version (in a non-VMSish form but that's off topic), but I don't have a CD-RW installed on this machine.
It turns out that I need one - on DQA0, to be precise, you cannot use another. So this "product" is unusable.
A program DFY$VMSCD (version 1.18 of September 1998 is the latest) could be a solution, but that won't work properly: fails to read from logical devices anyway. So that isn't a real solution either. Alas, the author can no longer be contacted by the address stated in the documentation.

1. Am I right aboutvte requirement of a CD-RW?
2. Am I right that this MUST be on DQA0?
3. If either one is true, waht way can I create an image (ISO format) in stead of burning it on CD?
4. If any is true, I would like an addition to create CD images - not CD's - that can be transferred to another system to be burned on CD (What I like about DFY$VMSCD is the ability to _create_ bootable CD's!)

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
8 REPLIES 8
labadie_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

A simple solution is to use LD (from the freeware CD) to put all what I need, then FTP the image on a PC and burn it (image burn).

I have sent a lot of Vms software using this procedure.

Of course, I mounted the CD on Vms before to check.
never had a problem.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Gerard,

Obvious method, and I would normally have no problem doing it that way (and I usually do). But in this case, it isn't an option. The filesystem on the CD must be in VMS format (and bootable, eventually).

By the way: LD comes with VMS 7.3-1 and used by CDRECORD.COM - you SHOULDN'T use the version from the freeware CD (just the patch) - see my thread on this topic. (Off Topic: it's worthwhile to extract the procedure into a .CLD and execute it in LOGIN.COM. I wonder why it isn't in DCLTABLES in the first place).

Willem
Willem Grooters
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

May be I was not enough self explanatory: I have made bootable Vms CD using this method.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Got it:

LD SETUP
LD CONNECT LDan label
MOUNT LDan label logname
populate this disk
DISMOUNT LDan
LD DISCONNECT

Then FTP this containerfile to PC, burn it as an image. (Still have to find out how to do this but that's something else).

Could have thought of it myself. It's been too hot to think (over 30 C). Stupid.

Thanx Gerard.

Willem
Willem Grooters
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

with some small alterations CDRECORD.COM will belive in SCSI attached CD drives. I use Yamaha 400 CDR drives.

Hello Willem,

it must be really hot in the Netherlands, but maybe that helps burning CDs;-) The device to use is parameter p2 to cdrecord.com,
dqa0 is just the default.

Btw. the CDrecord program did start out with SCSI support rather than IDE/ATAPI many years ago. The Yamaha 400 series Ian mentions was the classic burner to get at this time.

Greetings, Martin
Dieter Rossbach
Regular Advisor

I use VD-Driver from the freeware to create a virtual disk in the size of a CD oder DVD, mount in on VMS, put all the data on ot, dismount it, transport the container file in RAW format to my PC with FTP. Pathworks or Samba and burn in in as an IMAGE with nero or windonCD. Works fine, I even made bootable CDs (with redirects for some files to a writeable disk) This works with CDROM and CD-RW.

Regards

Dieter
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I do like VD driver too, but do make sure you use the latest version with 7.3-1, else you might run into some nasty surprises.

Greetings, Martin