1748011 Members
4108 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CIFS on OpenVMS IA64.

The Brit
Honored Contributor

CIFS on OpenVMS IA64.

I am just picking my way through the installation procedure for CIFS Vers 1.1 ECO1.

I have just reached a point where I am trying to "Build the HP CIFS Sources on OpenVMS". I have extracted all of the source code from the Kit, and the instructions then say, "Execute BUILD.COM with RELEASE as P1"
When I attempt this I get

$ @build release
%DCL-W-IVVERB, unrecognized command verb - check validity and spelling
\MMS\

which is generated by the last line in the script, vis.

$ MMS /MACRO='MAC 'ARGS

Refering back to the instructions, I noticed a footnote which said "...you need to install HP Module Management System for OpenVMS".

(MMS (??))

Is anyone familiar with this, and can tell me where I can get it?? I Googled it and got to a link which appeared promising,

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06b/18964-18964-391524-3212724-3212724-3212855-3719061.html

unfortunately, the number given does not pick up. (Also, I was a little concerned by the "Are you ready to buy" label.)

Thanks

Dave.
32 REPLIES 32
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The MMS package is a component of DECset; it's the DECset version of "make" or MMK.

If you don't have an MMS or DECset license around, then you might be able to get MMK to work here (with some edits) as IIRC the MMK freeware package has a reasonable degree of MMS compatibility.
Paul Nunez
Respected Contributor

Hi Dave,

Just in case...

You only need to run build.com (which requires MMS) if you want to compile your own version of CIFS for OpenVMS (i.e., you modified the included source code to meet local needs).

Otherwise, just ignore that stuff in the docs about compiling CIFS...

Regards,

Paul
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Dave, at last count there are 8 ECO patches for CIFS (not all publically available). As far as I'm aware, HP are still working on some serious (file corruption) problems for patch 9.

The reason I say this is that you should probably expect some problems when you do instal CIFS.

I spent 6 months working with HP on various issues, so feel I know parts of the product fairly well. If you want a hand getting your install up and running, let me know.

Rob.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

After prototyping CIFS, I've deployed an alternate platform.

In deference to our hosts, I'll not comment further.
Paul Nunez
Respected Contributor

The current patch set for v1.1 ECO1 is PS009, which has been relatively stable. More importantly, it no longer modifies the security applied by OpenVMS to new objects (almost to a fault). Be sure to read the ps009 release notes (you have been warned :O)

The patches are maintained for FTP download at:

Server: ftp.usa.hp.com
Username: pathwork
Password: Support9

cd cifs-v11-eco1
dir ! Find the appropriate file.
bin
get

Paul
The Brit
Honored Contributor

To Paul;

I thought that initially, however;

$ show symb addshare
ADDSHARE == "$SAMBA$ROOT:[BIN.IA64]SAMBA$ADDSHARE.EXE;"
$ addshare
%DCL-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image SAMBA$ROOT:[BIN.IA64]SAMBA$ADDSHARE.EXE;
-CLI-E-IMAGEFNF, image file not found DSA400:[000000.SAMBA.][BIN.IA64]SAMBA$ADDSHARE.EXE;

this is why I went down the "BUILD" path!

To Rob;

I may take you up on your offer of help, however I/we was/were concerned about your use of the "c" word (corruption). At the moment, I have installed 1.1 ECO1, however I dont have any specific patches installed.

My e-mail is in my profile if you want to take this offline. Alternatively, just contact me so that I have your contact info.

Thanks

Dave.
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

I see the PS009 kit is from October, after I last spoke to HP, so I'm guessing they re-released the patch after they fixed the file corruption problem.

I'm quite surprised Paul or Hans didn't drop me an email to say it's back out. Think I'll drop him a line to get the current status.

Rob.
Paul Nunez
Respected Contributor

Hi,

"Corruption" is perhaps too harsh a term to use for the problem introduced in PS008 and fixed in PS009.

The data is still there, it's just that the Record Format on the file was not set correctly which could make it appear as though the file were corrupted :O).

Paul
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Just going by the words I heard. Glad to see it's fixed though.

Rob.