1752479 Members
5578 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CIFS on VMS 8.3

robert70
Valued Contributor

CIFS on VMS 8.3

I have setup CIFS1.2 on a DS20E running VMS 8.3 which allows all PC Workstations running XP on the "EU" domain to connect to shares.
2 questions:-

1. How can I Limit certain users from the "EU" domain, in particulat those with an IP address range of say 100.110.120.1 to 100.110.120.128?

2. How can I allow users not in the "EU" domain but with IP addresses in the range above have access to shares?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Chris Barratt
Frequent Advisor

I can't say I've tried it on VMS, but I imagine it should work...

from
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/securing-samba.html#id2618313

essentially add the following to your smb.conf,

hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.2.0/24 192.168.3.0/24
hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0

For your second item, I imagine that would require some sort of trust relationship be set up with the Windows stuff, but I have no knowlede of how that works. :-)

Chris Barratt
Frequent Advisor

oops...I just cut and pasted that IP range above from the SAMBA docs...didn't update for your example IP range.
Paul Bakker

Robert,

Starting first with the second question.
A samba server is member of a domain. (most of the time) and users must be validated against this domain. Users from other domains can only access the server if there is a trust between domain where Samba is a member of and the users domain.
Lets say this is the case. Then best would be is to create a group in each domain where you place all users in that are allowed to access the server. e.g. groupname Cifsuser:

Then you can specify in the smb.conf the following line:

valid users = @DOM1\cifsuser, @DOM2\cifsusers.

In my opinion this is the most flexible way to allow users to access the server.
You can even limmit the access on a per share basis.

robert70
Valued Contributor

Thanks Chris and Paul for your help so far - I'll try and see if i can progress your ideas - will report back - ta
robert70
Valued Contributor

MY 1ST QUESTION RE PARTICULAR IP ADDRESS ACCESS WORKS PERFECTLY SO THANKS
THE HOSTS ALLOW AND HOSTS DENY LINES ABOVE IN THE SMB.CONF DO THE TRICK

robert70
Valued Contributor

MANY THANKS CHAPS
ALL HAPPY AND COMPLETE WITH THIS NOW
TA