1752297 Members
4344 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CMDSCRIPT and VTDPY

Jim D Frederick
Occasional Advisor

CMDSCRIPT and VTDPY

I tried to use cmdscript to run VTDPY. To get to command mode of vtdpy, the instructions say hit Control-C, which unfortunately breaks me out of cmdscript and back to DCL instead of sending the Control-C to the VTDPY program.

Is there a way to either 1) send Control-C through to VTDPY or 2) somehow exit VTDPY so I can run it using hyperterm and the wired command line interface?

I am stuck!
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor

If by cmdscript you mean a DCL .COMmand procedure, then add this line to it:

$ SET NOCONTROL=Y
I have one, but it's personal.
Jim D Frederick
Occasional Advisor

Jess,

No, CMDSCRIPT is a utility to control HSG raid controllers (I have an HSG80 running version V86F-8 ... which I am trying to upgrade to -13) from the DCL prompt instead of connecting to the management port of the HSG raid controller via a serial cable and hyperterminal.

You would use a command like :
$ CMDSCRIPT :== $CMDSCRIPT
$ CMDSCRIPT -f "$1$GGA99"
which gets you to the HSG80 prompt where I ran VTDPY.

HSGOCC3> RUN VTDPY

When I hit CONTROL-C, I get ...

*INTERRUPT*
$

I did try the $ SET NOCONTROL=Y before using the CMDSCRIPT -f "$1$GGA99" and I still get the *INTERRUPT*, however it does not kick me back to the DCL prompt.

It was worth a try! :)
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I might look to trump this, given the somewhat spotty status of the cmdscript tool. Can you acquire the data you need via SNMP?
Jim D Frederick
Occasional Advisor

Hoff,

Thanks for the response.

The data I need is the HSG80 controller % idle. The patch procedure states that I can restart the HSG80 without shutting down the OpenVms system if the idle time is greater that 50%.

The system does not run SNMP, so if it is possible to get the data that way, it will not be an easy process to get setup. I assume there is some setup required to get SNMP to report back HSG80 statistics. A lot of setup issues there I do not know how to do :(

It is really too bad there does not seem to be a way to kill off the CMDSCRIPT session on the HSG80 from the hyperterminal/serial cable session. I could get the data I need by running VTDPY via hyperterminal and the serial cable, but with VTDPY already running via CMDSCRIPT it will not allow me to run any other program.

I also tried to create a file that has a CONTROL-C ascii character (03) in it, and copying that to the FTA terminal device that is running CMDSCRIPT/VTDPY but that did not work. :(

My main problem now is trying to kill off the CMDSCRIPT session on the HSG80 that is currently running the VTDPY program.

Thanks.
Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor

You might be able to write a program to do this using the pseudo-terminal driver. See chapter 6 of the I/O User's Reference Manual.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/aa-pv6sf-tk/aa-pv6sf-tk.HTMl
I have one, but it's personal.
Jim D Frederick
Occasional Advisor

I ended up rebooting the HSG. Thank to those that responded with suggestions.