5546 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CPUSPINWAIT, CPU spinwait timer expired

Dean McGorrill
Valued Contributor

Greg
there it is, SPL$C_INVALIDATE. its timeout is 300000. my system is only 100000, I wonder if someone saw this before and upped it. I'll look this spin up when I get home but that, and the 01 CPUCEASED sure puts me in the 'its hardware' camp.
you might want to shut it down to keep
from crashing again while you find a new
cpu board.

$ stop/cpu 1
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Dean,

this CPUSPINWAIT bugcheck is not the 'usual' bugcheck, where a CPU requests a spinlock held by another CPU, which is not giving up the spinlock in time.

In this case, CPU 0 wants to invalidate a TB (translation buffer) entry on all other CPUs. It did send an interprocessor interrupt to CPU 1 (see inv_tbs bit set in WorkReq for CPU 1), but CPU 1 did not execute the interprocessor interrupt and did not set the ACK bit in time. This is because it seems to have HALTed unexpectedly...

Volker.
Gregory Githens
Occasional Advisor

I am getting ready to upgrade my firmware from 6.6 to 7.3 but I have a fibre channel encryption device that encrypts data going to the disk array and it is kind of picky, is there a way to back out the firmware update if I have a problem?
Dean McGorrill
Valued Contributor

hi Greg,
back out of a alpha firmware update, not really. you could reinstal your older one I suppose if you have it. it writes it to erom. make sure you have the right version for that cpu, and don't power it
off until it prompts you. how have you
been doing with it, any more crashes? did
you stop cpu 1? -Dean
Gregory Githens
Occasional Advisor

I haven't stopped cpu 1. I was worried about performance issues. It has crashed 3 more times since then on the 12th, 13th, and early this morning. I should have a replacement cpu in a couple days. And I can also get a 6.6 firmware cd from our vendor. Thanks for your help.
Jur van der Burg
Respected Contributor

The 500Mhz EV6 pass 2.3 or lower cpu's are known for problems, especially when combined with newer pass cpu's. They can be very sensitive to the layout of data in memory, so I can understand that the crashes started after applying software updates. I've seen that many times before. Replacement of that cpu with at least v2.5 will fix it.

Jur.

Dean McGorrill
Valued Contributor

I wonder was the footprint the same for all? if so I'd check and see if the system is that busy. I know
I (and my users) would rather limp a long a bit then see crashes!. great on the cpu coming in! Dean
John Travell
Valued Contributor

When I was still 'in house' there used to be an ECO program for replacing 500Mhz rev 2.3 cpu's on ES40's. I don't know if there was any program put in place for other machines using the same cpu chips.
The problem was believed at the field support level to be a memory interlock timing error, and was only a problem on multi-cpu machines.
This crash is entirely consistent with the rev 2.3 problem, and as others have said, 'should' vanish when that cpu is replaced.
JT: