New Discussion юеВ

Re: CREPRC and LOGINOUT and QUOTAS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Alessandro,

Please reconsider your comment concerning privileges.

Having developed OpenVMS applications since VAX/VMS 1.0, I can assure that in most cases, you do not need the privileges.

While at the present time, your applications is in a dedicated environment, it is not unusual for a later situation to arise where the privileges become an issue. It is often a more significant problem to remove privileges later.

Privileges are also an important part of the OpenVMS philosophy that creates the long uptimes that are so valued in our community. I have seen more system crashes caused directly, or indirectly by unneeded privileges than I care to count. Elevated privilegs should, IMO, be used only when absolutely (and I do mean ABSOLUTELY) necessary. In nearly 30 years, I can say that it is a relatively rare application that needs privileges, particularly DEVOUR-class privileges.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Alessandro Colavizza
Occasional Advisor

Finally, everything is going well!
Now my process is up and running, and the last correction was -as suggested by Volker- setting the proper PQL$_JTQUOTA value along with the PRC$M_NOUAF flag.
I already had my applications byte-aligned (they need a low-level communication with db and plc's), so all structure boundaries were actually correct.
Just few words for Robert. I understand your point, that -after all- is mine, too. The fact is, that we never went deeper in security and configuration issues, even 15 years ago, when we were starting the VMS "adventure". Now we passed from 6-10 guys to... almost one (myself), and taking up this matter again is not as easy as was once (as you can see...). I'll try to reconsider that issue in future.

Thanks you all a lot for your effective cooperation and support.
Alessandro Colavizza
Occasional Advisor

(See my last reply)