1752390 Members
6061 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CSWS 1.3, Dreamweaver, and FTP

Richard Helmke_2
Occasional Advisor

CSWS 1.3, Dreamweaver, and FTP

Is anyone using Dreamweaver with CSWS/Apache and using the "time sync" feature to only update with 'new' files? Dreamweaver seems to complain about its FTP connection and lack of ability to time sync with the server (it writes a file and then checks the date). Doing a Google on Dreamweaver nets hundreds of such complaints with Unix systems -- but nothing about VMS? Anyone actually doing it with CSWS and some FTP package? (I am trying to get HGFTP to work with it, but no luck so far.)
4 REPLIES 4
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Richard,

Could it be that Dreamweaver is making assumptions about how the FTP server communicates dates? If there are complaints about Unix systems not working, then it's not surprising that OpenVMS behaves the same since they share a lot of code.

Are there any solutions to the Unix issues?
A crucible of informative mistakes
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Note:
This thead has been posted on Hunter Goatley's VMS messageboard as well (http://www.goatley.com/board/vmsboard/80.html) and has some comments on there.

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Willem, (and everybody else)

kind request:

WHENEVER you post an URL, PLEASE do NOT make ANY typografic accentuations or whatever.
Like in the previous post, the URL is between parentheses "()".
If you now try to use it, the ")" at the end causes a "Page not found". And the extra char is sometimes difficult to detect...

If you think you want to put the URL between (), "", !! .. ,, or whatever, please add a SPACE character ( " " ) between the URL itself and ANY char that is NOT part of the URL!!

Cheers.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Richard Helmke_2
Occasional Advisor

I was hoping that someone was actually using Dreamweaver with a VMS webserver and might have an instead solution. Oh well...

Willem: I'm the guy that posted the same question on Hunter Goatley's bulletin board and his suggestion that "www" be locally defined as a logical seems to work (still testing).

Jan: thanks for the reminder about posting URL references. Its easy to forget.

John: the most common solution is to switch to a supported FTP server package. Apparently there a quite a few available. Unfortunately if you look for VMS on the Dreamweaver site, the only reference is "not supported". I'm sure that this comment is directly related to the various list formats of FTP; on HGFTP I am using the 'unix' ls format which has eliminated most of the errors - except for the 'time sync' procedure which looks at a file creation date (and we could live without this feature).

More testing underway. And I'm still looking for a Dreamweaver user on VMS.