1753902 Members
9290 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CSWS_JAVA standalone doesn't define environment

OwensJ
Advisor

CSWS_JAVA standalone doesn't define environment

So I did an install a couple of months back of CSWS along with CSWS_JAVA (Apache & Tomcat). Everything works fine. However, I don't use any of the features in CSWS (Apache) and only need the Tomcat container.

So on a new machine, I tried to install CSWS_JAVA by itself. It runs just fine (startup, shutdown, etc) but the tomcat install doesn't create any of the directory shortcuts that are used by the system such as apache$root, apache$common, etc. Thus, no log files get created either since they are written to apache$root:[000000]. Am I going to have to install CSWS on top of CSWS_JAVA to get this capability?
2 REPLIES 2
OwensJ
Advisor

Re: CSWS_JAVA standalone doesn't define environment

Some additional information... log files do get created, but they are being created under sys$sysroot:[sysmgr]

Where in tomcat can I change this? In a windows tomcat install logs go under $catalina_home/logs, but this is not the case in openvms. I'd like to set it up to work this way if possible.
OwensJ
Advisor

Re: CSWS_JAVA standalone doesn't define environment

So I discovered that in OpenVMS, CSWS_JAVA/Tomcat uses the user's default login directory as the location of its log files. Since I was using the SYSTEM account, it was placing the logs under sys$sysroot:[sysmgr].

The documentation says you only need the apache$www user if you want to share data between CSWS (Apache) and CSWS_JAVA (Tomcat), so I didn't create it. Yet when patching CSWS_JAVA it specifically looks for the user APACHE$WWW (it will show parsing error messages during the "Product install CSWS_JAVA301_UPDATE".

So before the installation of CSWS_JAVA and patching CSWS_JAVA301_UPDATE, i created a user account apache$www with a default directory of sys$common:[apache] and changed the permissions of tomcat using option [1] under the @sys$manager:apache$jakarta tool like you would if you would use Tomcat along with Apache web server after installing the base CSWS_JAVA install. Then when I patched to CSWS_JAVA301_UPDATE, there were no parsing errors, and upon startup, i could see logs under the sys$common:[apache] folder.