1748011 Members
4568 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CSWS V1.3 (Apache 1.3.26)

Manny DeAssis
Frequent Advisor

CSWS V1.3 (Apache 1.3.26)

Just configured Apache 1.3.26 on an Alphaserver 4100 running OpenVMS 7.3-1 (w/TCPIP V5.3 ECO 2). I done this on other Alphaservers with no problems. This time I get the following error when I attempt to startup Apache. The error log complains about not being able to bind to port 443. Would appreciate any helpful responses.

Thanks.

Manny

$ @SYS$STARTUP:APACHE$STARTUP.COM
%APACHE-S-PROC_ID, identification of created process is 20801164
%APACHE-E-PROCTERMINATED, process terminated with status = 00000001

$ type apache$specific:[logs]error_log.
[Wed Oct 20 14:42:31 2004] [crit] (13)permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to port 443
5 REPLIES 5
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Manny,

Welcome to the VMS forum.

First check if APACHE$PRIVILEGED.EXE_ALPHA is installed with privileges. Then check the APACHE$PLV_ENABLE_APACHE$WWW logical name. It should be something like "7,80,1023" where the first number is a bit mask and bit 0 which controls binding to privileged ports must be set. The second and third number number are the minimal and maximal port allowed to be bound.

Check also if there is some other program, which has bound port 443. Error handling is not 100% in programs ported from *NIXses, so the error could be something other than that you see in log files.

Bojan
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Manny,

Port 443 is normally used for HTTPS (HTTP over SSL/TLS).
Is is possible that some other process has grabbed that port?

Greetz,

Kris
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Manny,

SYS$MANAGER:APACHE$STARTUP should be run with sufficient privilges to install privileged imgages. These are required to be able to grab ports below 1024.
Since it seems port 80 is accepted, I guess that there is another process that holds port 443.

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Manny DeAssis
Frequent Advisor

After further examination (with help from HPs tech support) it appears that it some sort of access problem. What makes this very strange is that this node (we'll call it NodeA) is part of a two node cluster (NodeA,NodeB). Both nodes share a common UAF. NodeB does not have this problem. HP has come to this conclusion because of a simple test. The max port assignment is 1023. We edited httpd.conf. Changed 'Listen 80' to read 'Listen 1025' plus commented out 'Port 80'. Apache started up successfully.

We're still working on it.

Thanks for your quick responses. I'll let you know what the end result is.

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

its does look like privs. See what hp say.